Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning everyone! Have a question - My Orpingtons are going to need trimming. Do I use scissors or electric clippers? I know CelticOaks posted on here but I can't find it now. I have never done this before, and don't want to hurt anyone....
idunno.gif
Thanks
I use scissors. Just snip away until about an inch to 2 inches from bum. Worked for me.

shhhh! lol, I will call them and see what they say, maybe I should just destroy them.............don't need anything illegal in my posession
Actually, some states will allow you to keep them. Here in TN you have to be approved by the state vet, (which will cost 25.00) and you need to prove that your farm can house such an animal without lending sickness to the wild population (tests ran on your birds). They also require you to provide a sales slip to anyone to send the eggs to as well as the state. I am guessing it is so they may keep up with who has these birds.
We have two now. Hannibal Lecter and Tomcat.

Last edited:
Sorry, Billie Sue, I have never trimmed "butt fluff" so have no idea. I'm sure that someone will be able to answer your question.

I have my second lilac turkey out now. 2 out of 3 that went into lockdown. Yay! My U of A eggs are starting to pip. Hatch date is technically tomorrow. I just have one Houdan pipping, right now. Looks like the others will be right on time. I still have 15 Dorkings going strong. I didn't check my Coros, Favs & Houdans just grabbed and put them in the hatching incubator (which I didn't get to clean) because I saw the Houdan had pipped in the turner.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Friday.

WOW you are going to have a busy day!! I have eggs in lock down also. No pips so far. Have 30 new chicks in brooders - I am going to need to post pictures so someone can help me identify a lot of them. It is hard to keep them apart once they hatch. I have to keep them together, so until they grow a little I know what is in there, just not "who is who"
smile.png
We have been so busy I am REALLY behind on the chat. Hope everyone is doing well. We decided to add Dorper Sheep and Alpaca to the farm. It's been fun, but BUSY!! Thinking I may not be teaching next year so trying to find things I can make a little money with to get buy. Telling ya, striving for self sufficiency is HARD!! Would like to get the garden in if it would ever stop SNOWING!! I think I will invest in electric clippers. I think it may be safer than going at them with scissors.
fl.gif

Sorry, Billie Sue, I have never trimmed "butt fluff" so have no idea. I'm sure that someone will be able to answer your question.

I have my second lilac turkey out now. 2 out of 3 that went into lockdown. Yay! My U of A eggs are starting to pip. Hatch date is technically tomorrow. I just have one Houdan pipping, right now. Looks like the others will be right on time. I still have 15 Dorkings going strong. I didn't check my Coros, Favs & Houdans just grabbed and put them in the hatching incubator (which I didn't get to clean) because I saw the Houdan had pipped in the turner.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Friday.

YAY!!! Congratulations on the chicks!!! My eggs appear to have been put through the USPS ringer. Thankfully, though, I have Light Sussex eggs from Greeneacre developing and a couple of Coronation Sussex from crfarm developing.
big_smile.png

WOW you are going to have a busy day!! I have eggs in lock down also. No pips so far. Have 30 new chicks in brooders - I am going to need to post pictures so someone can help me identify a lot of them. It is hard to keep them apart once they hatch. I have to keep them together, so until they grow a little I know what is in there, just not "who is who"
smile.png
We have been so busy I am REALLY behind on the chat. Hope everyone is doing well. We decided to add Dorper Sheep and Alpaca to the farm. It's been fun, but BUSY!! Thinking I may not be teaching next year so trying to find things I can make a little money with to get buy. Telling ya, striving for self sufficiency is HARD!! Would like to get the garden in if it would ever stop SNOWING!! I think I will invest in electric clippers. I think it may be safer than going at them with scissors.
fl.gif
I'm not sure how well electric clippers would work on those thick feather shafts. I had no problems with scissors and I had a small pair.

Quote:
Most states will allow you to keep them as long as they are acquired from someone, not from nature and only by permit. As birds protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, it is illegal to obtain them from the wild. They must be obtained from an individual who has them and there are other requirements such as clipping wings, etc.

Here's the link for the full list of birds protected: http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/RegulationsPolicies/mbta/mbtandx.html

I'm not sure how well electric clippers would work on those thick feather shafts. I had no problems with scissors and I had a small pair.
OK - Scissors it is - Wonder if my husband would miss his beard scissors if I put them back before he gets home?
wink.png
They are nice, sharp scissors - Surely if I wash the poo off, he won't notice!

Most states will allow you to keep them as long as they are acquired from someone, not from nature and only by permit. As birds protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, it is illegal to obtain them from the wild. They must be obtained from an individual who has them and there are other requirements such as clipping wings, etc.

Here's the link for the full list of birds protected: http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/RegulationsPolicies/mbta/mbtandx.html
We bought our first one from a guy in AL. They have been trapping them and selling them to the public as African Greys. The state was alerted and we had to have a TWRA Officer come out and give us a lesson in these geese. We were told then that if someone brought us eggs or goslings that we had to report having them and pay for a second permit (or third,forth, so on).
I am not disagreeing with you about just going and taking them from the wild, you can't just go out and get their eggs. I am just saying that someone else brought them to her and she may apply for a permit.
Being that they are eggs, she might be advised to destroy them. Or take them to a wildlife center.

I forgot to add that you cannot pen them up. They must be allowed to leave at any time they so choose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom