Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Received my ACV and water nipples from kitchenchick!
thumbsup.gif
Thank You!!

I need some serious help with hatching. I have a 1500 incubator that works excellently- 99.6 degrees and 40-46% humidity; about 98% of eggs go to lockdown. My brooder is a second-hand GQF 1500, which holds steady at 99 degrees, 60-67% humidity. BUT, for some reason I can't figure out, very few of the eggs actually hatch, or even pip. I wait several days beyond hatch date, and when I open they eggs they are fully developed. I'm really discouraged. Right now I have 60 purchased eggs and 300 bobwhite eggs in the incubator, and I need to figure out what's happening before they're due to go to lockdown. Any suggestions, ideas??

Good Morning, Happy Chicken People!

Got up this morning to find that hubby had left a door open last night that should have been closed. Actually, two of them. One inside and one outside yesterday. The inside one allowed the puppy yo get to the button quail aquarium. It was on its side, lid off, insides all jumbled....with some completely unhappy buttons. But nobody was missing! I did have to catch one of the little buggers up, but all was well.

I found out that he'd left the door to the Juvenile Detention Center open for a bit yesterday when I noticed a small huddle in the corner of the grow-out (other side of same building) whose occupants hadn't come for morning scratch. I pulled off one of Donna's cuckoo Marans to discover she had been keeping two tiny poults warm all night. The grow-out doesn't have heat lamps; those birds are all fully feathered. But that little pullet was keeping those poults toasty warm! They were happy to get back into their own age group, though. And when I mentioned it to hubby, he told me he'd left the door open and had had to chase the bigger birds back out. Looks like he missed a couple of the little guys! But a happy ending to both accidents, and I think he'll be more careful about doors.

I want to put this out there for discussion. Please be considerate and polite when responding.

What do you think about limiting the time eggs can be offered? None of us can tell the future and what's going to happen. Offering eggs for Fall is really pushing it. Heck, mid to late summer is pushing it too. So I want to get everyone's opinion since this is everyone's swap here.

So my opinion is maybe a limit of 2 months. If you can't get the swap out in the 2 month limit then it shouldn't be offered. With some new breeds popping up, most of us don't even know when they will start laying. I mean, how long does it take a Barthuhner to mature and start laying?

I'm not trying to chase anyone off. Just trying to keep it under control a bit. I mean, there are some swappers who may not get all their swaps out before Spring is up.

So what is your opinion?

I need some serious help with hatching. I have a 1500 incubator that works excellently- 99.6 degrees and 40-46% humidity; about 98% of eggs go to lockdown. My brooder is a second-hand GQF 1500, which holds steady at 99 degrees, 60-67% humidity. BUT, for some reason I can't figure out, very few of the eggs actually hatch, or even pip. I wait several days beyond hatch date, and when I open they eggs they are fully developed. I'm really discouraged. Right now I have 60 purchased eggs and 300 bobwhite eggs in the incubator, and I need to figure out what's happening before they're due to go to lockdown. Any suggestions, ideas??
I would say your humidity during incubating is way too high. You are drowning them during lockdown. My humidity is 15 - 20% during incubation. 60-65% during lockdown.

I want to put this out there for discussion. Please be considerate and polite when responding.

What do you think about limiting the time eggs can be offered? None of us can tell the future and what's going to happen. Offering eggs for Fall is really pushing it. Heck, mid to late summer is pushing it too. So I want to get everyone's opinion since this is everyone's swap here.

So my opinion is maybe a limit of 2 months. If you can't get the swap out in the 2 month limit then it shouldn't be offered. With some new breeds popping up, most of us don't even know when they will start laying. I mean, how long does it take a Barthuhner to mature and start laying?

I'm not trying to chase anyone off. Just trying to keep it under control a bit. I mean, there are some swappers who may not get all their swaps out before Spring is up.

So what is your opinion?

AGREED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom