Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, despite a major human-error incubator issue last night (I didn't close the door tightly, the fans sucked air in, temp got down to 85 for 2 hours) I can already tell this hatch is going better than any of my others recently. My styrofoam hatching incubators have been killing eggs right and left with very poor hatch rates, so I wanted to go back to hatching in my big 'bator, which has always given me great development but had the problem of too much airflow and so shrink-wrapped chickies. In a discussion about hatching upright, I'd mentioned I was always worried about hatching in cardboard cartons because I was worried they'd suck humidity out of the air, and somebody -- I think it was COF -- pointed out that they do, but only until they're as damp as the surrounding air (well, duh, Clucky!!! Didn't I feel dumb
tongue.png
). So to combat the shrink-wrap/massive air flow problem I built little cardboard sections with roofs to sort my lockdown eggs into and saturated them with water before putting them in.

GREAT humidity, not a single shrink-wrapped chick so far, and while I may lose some due to my dunderheaded carelessness last night, I think I have finally gotten my big bator to do what I need it to! Well, except that I need to fit it to hold one more rack, lol! Two just isn't enough...

I'm sorry about all the problems people are having. I guess I feel that someone that is still swapping and owe's 30 or so swaps still out, should stop swapping and start shipping. I personally only swap what I fell very confident that I can deliver and afford to ship. I know everyone has more poultry then I do, But the Shipping costs alone can creep up there very fast and before you know it you may have the eggs but not the finances to ship them. I think some just fall short in seeing the big picture and let it get out of hand. You know chicken math plays a part in that. lol

This is just my 2 cents for what ever it is worth. I know some will agree and some will not, but that is life also.

congrats on a better hatch. Yep when we use the pulp cartons they get soaked before loading. This way they add to the humidity not suck it from the air. Spray bottles with warm water misting as eggs are loaded always helps too

Well, all this and my faulty memory ( sorry resse!!) Has made me start keeping track of all the swapping I do on a spreadsheet with DC # and swap number.

Of course even this isn't perfect. I was about to pm someone and ask about a swap only to find the chicks hatching in my incubator this morning.

I will send you some of my Tolbunts as soon as the new group starts laying
jumpy.gif

They are a little over 3 months now so figure Summer sometime... I also have a really nice group (younger) growing out from Sonew123
love.gif

I appreciate the offer.... that is why I was hoping to do some swapping with you and contacted you. I missed your offer of tolbunts on the swap page.
he.gif

I can't afford to do the auctions for the these fun little birds... so the swapping is a real bonus to poorly funded chicken junkies like myself.

congrats on a better hatch. Yep when we use the pulp cartons they get soaked before loading. This way they add to the humidity not suck it from the air. Spray bottles with warm water misting as eggs are loaded always helps too

Oh good idea! Thank you :) Yeah, I'm very pleased -- my big incie always gave me the best development, but I'd been hoping for better hatches in the styrofoam bators because of the fans. Instead they were worse, which was disheartening, and I lost some eggs I'd really really wanted that had developed fully but never pipped. Now I'm all like, "Bring on the eggs!"
lau.gif

Well, all this and my faulty memory ( sorry resse!!) Has made me start keeping track of all the swapping I do on a spreadsheet with DC # and swap number.

Of course even this isn't perfect. I was about to pm someone and ask about a swap only to find the chicks hatching in my incubator this morning.

LOL I can only imagine! I would find it so much easier if folks would stick a note in the box, telling us who it is from and what they are. I am still fairly new to everyone and unfortunately do not know everyone's actual names.

Only thing I have to go on is tracking numbers with starting location when someone sends me something.

I would find it so much easier if folks would stick a note in the box, telling us who it is from and what they are. I am still fairly new to everyone and unfortunately do not know everyone's actual names.
Excellent idea! I will start doing that with my next shipment.

LOL  I can only imagine!    I would find it so much easier if folks would stick a note in the box, telling us who it is from and what they are.    I am still fairly new to everyone and unfortunately do not know everyone's actual names.  

Only thing I have to go on is tracking numbers with starting location when someone sends me something. 

It's actually a good idea to put something inside the box with both the sender and receiver name & address in case the label gets damaged. I used to do this with every box mailed out and got lazy :( Need to start that up again :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom