Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I think we need step by step pictures now.
big_smile.png

I brought a metal frame kit that snapped together- 15 minutes tops to put it together- no tools. I made sure to get the one that had all those holes running down the sides because I wanted to use that to secure my hardware cloth.

This is the unit I used http://www.lowes.com/pd_101933-1281...=1&currentURL=?Ntt=metal+shelf+unit&facetInfo

The unit is 48 inches wide x 24 deep so I brought 48" hardware cloth ($20.00). I cut 1 sheet to length and secured with 4" grey zip ties all the way down for the back. Then I cut a second piece to length and then cut in half (since each side is 24") secured each piece to the sides with more zip ties- super easy.

Now I just needed to make my doors and and a wooden lip to keep the mess in. The doors I made with 1/2 inch (I think that's the size) wood. I just cut 4 pieces of wood to size and stapled them together on both sides and then stapled hardware cloth to them- done. Then I took flat hinges and secured the doors to the shelving unit. The trick was to run a vertical piece of wood inside the unit right behind where I was screwing the hinges

Can you see the wood behind all those holes and the hinges? Super easy! Just screw the hinge in grabbing the wood behind and done. I also added a wooden lip inside to keep the mess in- that is just 4 pieces of wood screwed together.

I used alot of zip ties and staples for almost everything
big_smile.png

Inside the unit I put down heavy duty contact paper so the wood stays dry and it's easy to clean.

wee.gif

Spoiled I love that and can build two and keep everyone sorted. Hubbyteases me as my goto items are: Duct Tape, Zip Ties (have them in 12 colors now lol), Aluminum ties (for fencing), my wire snips. Add to that PVC parts designed for making patio furniture and I am a happy camper

Look who decided to join us this morning!

Now hopefully the other little call will decide to come out and play so this one has a friend. They have been peeping at me since Monday inside the eggs!
Edited for spelling

Last edited:
I might get rid of my metal brooder and make something like that! I would have to make some side brackets to hold brooder lights, and I think I would make the front panel on each of those wooden trays hinged, just to be able to sweep shavings out.
Thanks for the awesome idea!

The kindergarten your was ok. It was good to see the classrooms, but didn't get any real chances to ask questions or get a feel for which teacher would be best for Hayden. Also, the principal wasn't there (guess she didn't think it was important enough!) so I could ask any questions about placement or policies. Unfortunately, I live in an area that parents don't seem to ask any questions. It was also kind of shocking to me the academic pressure they put on kindergarten. The kids only get 30 minutes of free play time for a full day of school, only 20 minutes for lunch, only 45 minutes of library time in a WEEK, and expected to read before they leave kindergarten. I am pretty sure it was 1st or 2nd before I learned to read (although I was slow) an kindergarten was a half day. That is a lot of change.
I am not really worried about Hayden academically. He is already trying to learn to read now, I enjoy doing learning time with him at home, but I do worry about his behavior, having such little time to get energy out and still being expected to sit in a classroom for a full day

Last edited:
The kindergarten your was ok. It was good to see the classrooms, but didn't get any real chances to ask questions or get a feel for which teacher would be best for Hayden. Also, the principal wasn't there (guess she didn't think it was important enough!) so I could ask any questions about placement or policies. Unfortunately, I live in an area that parents don't seem to ask any questions. It was also kind of shocking to me the academic pressure they put on kindergarten. The kids only get 30 minutes of free play time for a full day of school, only 20 minutes for lunch, only 45 minutes of library time in a WEEK, and expected to read before they leave kindergarten. I am pretty sure it was 1st or 2nd before I learned to read (although I was slow) an kindergarten was a half day. That is a lot of change.
I am not really worried about Hayden academically. He is already trying to learn to read now, I enjoy doing learning time with him at home, but I do worry about his behavior, having such little time to get energy out and still being expected to sit in a classroom for a full day
I'm feeling very fortunate... I was able to get my daughter into our Arts and Drama magnet school, any district in the county can apply on a lottery system for open spaces. Play is encouraged, and the day is often broken up with juggling or such. I can't wait for her to start Kinder in the fall! And it's still a half day, thankfully. Although in some ways Idaho is a wee bit backwards. Kinder isn't a requirement here, it's just an option, which seems so odd to me!

Spoiled I love that and can build two and keep everyone sorted. Hubbyteases me as my goto items are: Duct Tape, Zip Ties (have them in 12 colors now lol), Aluminum ties (for fencing), my wire snips. Add to that PVC parts designed for making patio furniture and I am a happy camper

2 of these will hold more chicks than the GQF brooder and cost you $200.00 no shipping
tongue2.gif

Plus it looks fairly decent so I'm not embarrassed to sell out of it. A few of my customers have actually asked me where they can buy one
lau.gif

I just brought some water nipples that fit on the end of soda bottles (my pet chicken) http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Feed-and-Water-Supplies/Brooder-Bottle-Cap--p1298.aspx I am going to try to hang water bottles with the nipples so I can get the waterers off the floors in there. I will be doing that this weekend so we'll see...

Get bldg guys- super super easy!

Last edited:
We bought the shelves like that for our garage. I think we're at 5 units now. I don't think G would be all that happy if I disassembled one to turn it into a brooder! They're $70 here, so depending on area, it might be a little more than $100, but still a heck of a deal. They are a little heavy though, so take your hubbies if you need help with the 100lb feed sacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom