Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have really thought about home schooling, but socially, I don't have much to teach my kids. I think it is really important tht they go to a school to learn that, and to get directions and discipline from other adults. I will just have to get him play dates and some sports to do. It's just not easy to find a balance between fun and learning, but 5 year olds should get more than one 30 minute break during a full school day. It's like they are setting them up to fail!
Try to remember that much of their day will be spent in educational centers. There will be plenty of time they feel like they are playing. It won't be all paper and pencil all day! However, yes, education has changed. Teachers aren't happy with all of it either. I've taught grades 2 - 5. I'm currently teaching 3rd and have my administrative certification. My 3rd graders are expected to be able to compose a full page essay, read 100 or so page chapter books in a timely manner, and answer math problems like this: "Jan goes to the mall. She bought a pair of shoes for $20, 3 pair of socks for $2 each, pants for $8, and 4 shirts for $10 each. She also buys lunch for $9. When she leaves the mall she has $4 in her purse. How much money did she begin with?" So...you're baby is 5....this is what the expectation will be 3 years from now by our country. It isn't a local or state issue. Sad, but true.

And I have kids who are living in RV's at a roadside park, kids whose parents are having dope parties so all the kids are forced to sleep outside on the trampoline in 40 degree weather, kids who, at 8, have to go home and feed and care for younger siblings because single mom has 3 jobs and won't be home till midnight, and kids whose parents think they don't need to earn good grades because they made D's in school and hey, working at the local food mart is ok.

It's a vicious cycle that isn't getting any better any time soon.

There's a lady an hour or so from me who sells ALL of her chicks for $2 each.  I will not get into what kind of health her birds are in or the way they are raised, but she does have a variety of breeds --AND SHE UNDER PRICES EVERYONE just to move them all.  I believe she has 2 sportsmans--cranking out two hatches a week.  *sigh*  So, naturally people freak out when they see a more rare variety of chick that is bred to the SOP and I or someone else near me is selling at a higher price.  All I can tell people is that they can go buy her $2 birds and see how long they live healthily.  Then call me if they want a better bird.

I've had this problem with my calls. Up to 2 week old are $15 each for snowy and $10 each for grey. There is some lady around here they selling them for $1.50 each! My adults are show quality so of course I ask the higher price for the babies. This lady knows nothing about call ducks and her stock is huge! People always go and buy from her first and then when their ducks get disqualified in the 4h rings for being oversized, they come to me to buy.
They complain the fact that she sold them call ducks that weren't really call ducks. People always want a bargain but don't think maybe it's a bargain for a reason...

And If anyone needs poop management help you seriously need to check out my poop boards
old.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/621363/poop-board-convert-warning-graphic-gross-poop-pictures
I LOVE LOVE LOVE PDZ. Seriously...it is the way to go!!!!!!

I gave up on PDZ. Too dusty for me, had me coughing every time I scooped. Now I use poop hammocks. The canvas helps pull the moisture out of the poo. I find it very easy to keep up on removing excess poo, they're inexpensive to install, and I don't have the added recurring expense of buying the PDZ. PDZ works very well, it just wasn't for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom