Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just letting people know who have guinea swaps from me that they have started laying. I have been getting 1-2 eggs this last 2 weeks and today a whopping 5! So I will be contacting everyone as I get to their name on the list. Hoping to start next week! They are fertile!

edited to add- anyone who is waiting for the speckled sussex and does not want to wait much longer please feel free to contact me to change your breed to one of the following choices:
6 rhodebar
6 norwegian jaerhons
6 cream legbars
6+ black copper marans
6+ birchen marans
6 blue coppers
6+ split coronation sussex
6 coronation sussex
after 5/19
3 lemon cuckoo and 3 of any other breed listed above

or if still wanting some speckled sussex
3 speckled sussex and choice of any breed listed above.

or PP that I took in exchange for each swap.

REASON:
I just have one hen that is laying. the other has NOT started yet. Don't know what the deal is or if she is just a late starter. The one hen lays almost everyday now and that is not enough to fill a swap in the time frame of 4 days.

Last edited:
From UC Davis Avian Dept.

1. Sign: Missing eye(s), other eye abnormalities. Causes:
  2. High incubator temperature during days 1 to 6.
  3. Low oxygen during days 1 to 6.
  4. Sign: Exposed brain. Causes:
  5. High incubator temperature during days 1 to 3.
  6. Low oxygen during days 1 to 3.
Hmmm... Good to know....I vaguely recall a slight temp spike, but I can't remember when. I did a staggered hatch, so the humidity was higher the first week than normal...perhaps that lowered the O2 levels?

I just set my last batch for the season. I'll keep an eye on the temp... and check the vents to make sure they're open.

Well yesterday was hatch day, but I think because of my lowered temps (just got the Brinsea spot check and found I was off) they are delayed a bit. Today IS hatch day! I am really pleased with Kitchenchick's Barnvelders. So far I have 4 out and in the brooder (3 girls and one boy!) and one is zipping fast enough I can actually see it move! I also have pips in one Silkie egg from Brown Chicka Brown Cow and 5 or 6 SFH from Papabrooder. They just started last night/ this morning - it is taking a LOT of will (or won't) power not to just sit there and watch them hatch! First hatching with shipped eggs in "new" cabinet incubator.

Well yesterday was hatch day, but I think because of my lowered temps (just got the Brinsea spot check and found I was off) they are delayed a bit. Today IS hatch day! I am really pleased with Kitchenchick's Barnvelders. So far I have 4 out and in the brooder (3 girls and one boy!) and one is zipping fast enough I can actually see it move! I also have pips in one Silkie egg from Brown Chicka Brown Cow and 5 or 6 SFH from Papabrooder. They just started last night/ this morning - it is taking a LOT of will (or won't) power not to just sit there and watch them hatch! First hatching with shipped eggs in "new" cabinet incubator.
thumbsup.gif
Whoo for a good hatch!

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning, just got 12 lav orp eggs and 16 jubilee eggs in the mail  :celebrate

That's way to much pretty for one person to have you now have to send me half of the chicks! Lol xd

Well, my grandmother swore by the farmers almanac. She and my great uncle had the awesomest, most productive gardens you could imagine. I don't understand any of it, but I am not going to discount it either. I did not realize that the Farmers Almanac had calculations for hatching. Unfortunately, I seem to set on the wrong days. I am going to try it and see.

I am a nurse, and have always hated working the few days working up to the full moon. It has always been crazy. Don't know why, but obviously moon phases do have something to contribute.

FULL MOONS ARE THE WORST! People seem to loose 90% of their manners and forget about their tempers completely. I used to work in gentlemens clubs and it was kinda funny because the owner would ask us why none of us older girls showed up on certain dates. All those dates were full moons.

I was reading through all the stuff you guys wrote and apparently I need to pick up and almanac. Though I doubt it was written with Alaska in mind.
I Also bookmarked all those pages so I can better read them later.

Last edited:
Ugh hg . I think I have the flu. Or a bad stomach bug. I can't bring myself to do anything and the house is a mess.
On another note. I think eBay is psychic. I am almost out of shipping labels, and I just got an email saying the seller is offering 10% off and buy 2 get 1 free
http://bit.ly/186yfZO

As for the moon. My mom always said things got crazy around a full moon, I thought she was crazy... Until I noticed I never sleep well during a full moon.

Just wanted to post some updates on all the attacked chickens and the sick chick.

Silver the Lav orph that was attacked by an opossum and had almost all her skin from around her neck tore off is back to open population. She has also been looking into nest boxes.

The other hen that was attacked a week later hasn't faired nearly as well, but is still going strong. She was the one with her crop tore open. Super glue did wonders on that injury, but I didn't know at he time that both her wings were broken and the flexible skin tore. On both wings the first two thirds of her wings have come off. There is still one broken bone protruding, but should eventually heal over. I would normally have put her own, but the kid isn't ready to do that. He's going to eventually have to learn, but the hen isn't suffering and has actually amazed me at her capacity to survive. She will have to have a special area to perch as there will be no jump flying or her again. Otherwise she seems to be fine.

As for the sick chick that was brought to us in severe condition due to wryneck. Well she is finally standing up, eating and drinking on her own, and looking for an escape. If all continues she can go out tomorrow for a little while. Thanks for the suggestion of polyvisol. She took at lot of work and patience. My son learnt how to give her Epsom salts water with a syringe and how to judge whether any had actually gotten into her crop. I think we both are fine for vitamins for at leat a year with how much we ended up getting on us, but it was a good experience or him. The friends parents have decided they no longer want the chick as they still think something is wrong with it. She will find a place here just as well.

All in all I think the kid has learnt some valuable lessons on treating birds for injury or illness. He lost his little silver sebright, little Lisa, to botulism. Now he knows the signs and symptoms and after this he now knows how to treat it. I dont wish bad things to happen, but I'm glad I have the know how to deal with them when they do.

I think I am having an incubating anxiety attack. I just put my last eggs in the incubator, and this is it. If they dont hatch then I will be pm-ing yall looking for juveniles. I counted what I received and what hatched since March this year, shouldnt have, but I did. 30/167. That is 18%. :/ I just put 46 eggs in the incubator. I can hear them laughing at me....."We are not hatching! We will develop fully and never pip just like all the others that came before us! Hahahahaha you silly woman, we are toying with you muah ha ha ha!!!!!!!! " It may be hatching psychosis instead of an incubating anxiety attack. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom