Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
fl.gif
I have 3 black barthuhner eggs in lockdown. 2 have pipped already.

Just wanted to post some updates on all the attacked chickens and the sick chick.

Silver the Lav orph that was attacked by an opossum and had almost all her skin from around her neck tore off is back to open population. She has also been looking into nest boxes.

The other hen that was attacked a week later hasn't faired nearly as well, but is still going strong. She was the one with her crop tore open. Super glue did wonders on that injury, but I didn't know at he time that both her wings were broken and the flexible skin tore. On both wings the first two thirds of her wings have come off. There is still one broken bone protruding, but should eventually heal over. I would normally have put her own, but the kid isn't ready to do that. He's going to eventually have to learn, but the hen isn't suffering and has actually amazed me at her capacity to survive. She will have to have a special area to perch as there will be no jump flying or her again. Otherwise she seems to be fine.

As for the sick chick that was brought to us in severe condition due to wryneck. Well she is finally standing up, eating and drinking on her own, and looking for an escape. If all continues she can go out tomorrow for a little while. Thanks for the suggestion of polyvisol. She took at lot of work and patience. My son learnt how to give her Epsom salts water with a syringe and how to judge whether any had actually gotten into her crop. I think we both are fine for vitamins for at leat a year with how much we ended up getting on us, but it was a good experience or him. The friends parents have decided they no longer want the chick as they still think something is wrong with it. She will find a place here just as well.

All in all I think the kid has learnt some valuable lessons on treating birds for injury or illness. He lost his little silver sebright, little Lisa, to botulism. Now he knows the signs and symptoms and after this he now knows how to treat it. I dont wish bad things to happen, but I'm glad I have the know how to deal with them when they do.

I love how your son is so interested and involved. I hope to get my daughter to that point someday. The learning curve is so high with poultry sometimes for me, and I'm 37! I feel like I'm one step ahead of the birds somedays...

I lost one of my Campines this afternoon. I was trying to round them up to go into the coop because DS graduates tonight and I won't be home 'till after dark. She spooked, jumped up and took flight, and kept on going. All I could do was stand there and watch her fly away out of sight. BAD BIRD!!
sad.png

D'oh! Hope she comes back.

fl.gif
I have 3 black barthuhner eggs in lockdown. 2 have pipped already.
Whoo!

Quote:
I wouldn't be too surprised if she comes back :) I've had a couple wander off, jump the fence, make it over an eight foot wall out of their stall -- and show back up again when they get hungry ;-) VERY grateful to live in a low-predator area!
(Edited to add: I always feel more than a little pretentious offering advice or anything on this thread -- especially to CJ who's had chickens a LOT longer than I have! But having had my bresse roo just wander off for 18 hours and show back up last night, the experience was fresh in my mind...)

Last edited:
I had a little frilkie roo who has found a hole in silkie shed. He was gone for 3 days in an area FULL of preditors and wandered back hungry and full of pi** and vinegar . how he saw to get back I do not know.

And more silkie drama. I came home to find one of my 4 math old I was trying to intragrate into the flock with wry neck. Her head is completely under her body. I started with vitamin b and dh is bringing home predizone ( sp ) and vitamin e.

Any other tips? I already am trying to find a 2-3 silkie only home for her from my list of people who wantolder birds but I need to fix this first. She is eating and drinking fine with help.

I had a little frilkie roo who has found a hole in silkie shed. He was gone for 3 days in an area FULL of preditors and wandered back hungry and full of pi** and vinegar . how he saw to get back I do not know.

And more silkie drama. I came home to find one of my 4 math old I was trying to intragrate into the flock with wry neck. Her head is completely under her body. I started with vitamin b and dh is bringing home predizone ( sp ) and vitamin e.

Any other tips? I already am trying to find a 2-3 silkie only home for her from my list of people who wantolder birds but I need to fix this first. She is eating and drinking fine with help.
polyvisol!!!! without Iron. works great for wry neck. give a little every couple of hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom