Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh oh oh another turkey hatched! I can hear it!
ya.gif
for turkeys! I ended up with three from WVstruttin's Narraganetts. I'm a bit worried about one -- floppy leg, but (s)he seems to be getting it up under him/herself, so I shall wait and see. And BOY are they cute!

I have made the hard decision to get rid of the black barthuhners. I have 2 more chicks to put down and frankly I am at my wits end with these guys. I do have a rooster growing out but I'm not sure I want to wait the 3 or so months for him to mature.

hugs.gif

We lost our breeder pens last night in the storm , but we're able to find most of the birds and get them in safe our loss was minimal compared to what's going on, we feel very blessed that our home was spared and our goats are in good shape , lots of big trees down and lots of debris to clean up and rebuild our pens but all is good we survived now if Can get through this day without any more wind we should be fine. Thanks for all the prayers .
Glad most of you all are ok!
Hey Guys!

I just wanted to stop in and give everyone an update on what is happening with me, just so you understand why I have been so inconsistent. My mother passed away very unexpectedly earlier this spring. She is my best friend, it is like losing two people; my mom and my best friend. I guess I coped by obsessing over chicks. Two weeks later, I lost my grandmother as well. This, at least, was a bit less unexpected. On Mother's Day, my niece had a miscarriage. I have been trying so hard to keep it all together and keep all my comittments and relationships going with all of you.

Looking at all the emails I have yet to answer, I guess I am just not keeping it as together as I thought and I feel like I am drowning right now. Please know that if I owe you something, I am trying as hard as I possibly can to get it together and get on it for you. This just sucks BIG TIME!

I know you all get it, running a small farm and having and raising animals means you can't take a break, you do have that luxury. Please know I care very, very much about the promises I have made. My roommates are going to help me work on them today and tomorrow.
Hugs and love, and like everyone else said, take care of yourself... Goodies can wait.
I've been keeping my eye on the juvie and so far
fl.gif
he looks good. No beak issues at all. And I have thought of doing just that. Having DH do away with that nasty rooster and hope the little dude works out.
That's what I'd do. I suspect his awful temperament would breed down also and you don't want that. Yes, it will be a be longer, but if you have one of the only decent breeding groups it could work out quite well for you.

How big do midgets get?

Toms generally dress out around 15 pounds and hens between 7 and ten I'm told. We had one tome weigh 20 and one 10 and most of the rest were between 13 and 15. You can butcher earlier for smaller. They are pretty much fully grown between 6 and 10 months depending on size desired. The hens lay around 6 months, they lay well somewhere around 100 eggs a year which is awesome for a turkey. They are gentle and sweet. NEED human interaction. Extremely curious, and who couldn't love a turkey that just climbed into your lap for a cuddle or laid their head on your shoulder for a hug.

Would love some.  I have Bourbon and Sweet Grass in the incubator right now.  The Midgets sound like they would be ideal for a normal family meal rather than extended family shindig. 

When does your son go back to the mayo clinic? Would you want to take poults back? I need to meet my brother in Rochester to drop off my son so he can visit grandparents, and if the timing worked out I could bring some.

What is everyone's opinion???? The rooster is a mess. He has a bad beak and looks to be wry tail. He's only breeding one hen or the other hen is infertile. Either way, her eggs aren't fertile. I've had them almost 6 months with not one chick to show for it. Well, I did just hatch 4 but I have to put one down now. they were 7 months old when I got them and laying. I've gotten chicks from GFF as a replacement for the rooster but of all the chicks, I have one good juvie growing that I believe is a rooster. It's only 12 weeks old. Long way to go before breeding age. I have 6 chicks from GFF but one has to be put down for a bad beak. This is a constant issue with these guys. So what would you do? Would you sell the whole mess and cut your losses or keep trying? be honest now.

That's a hard call to make. Part of the adventure for me over the past year has been learning which breeds I really enjoy and which I don't. Although I do need to make this pay for itself somewhat (and quickly!), I can't see the point for me personally in keeping a breed I'm not horribly fond of that's also giving me problems. Then again, none of my breeds are black barthuhners! :p

FWIW, if you're not sure, why not think about it another week or so and see how you feel then?

Toms generally dress out around 15 pounds and hens between 7 and ten I'm told. We had one tome weigh 20 and one 10 and most of the rest were between 13 and 15. You can butcher earlier for smaller. They are pretty much fully grown between 6 and 10 months depending on size desired. The hens lay around 6 months, they lay well somewhere around 100 eggs a year which is awesome for a turkey. They are gentle and sweet. NEED human interaction. Extremely curious, and who couldn't love a turkey that just climbed into your lap for a cuddle or laid their head on your shoulder for a hug.
When does your son go back to the mayo clinic? Would you want to take poults back? I need to meet my brother in Rochester to drop off my son so he can visit grandparents, and if the timing worked out I could bring some.
It looks like July but nothing definite yet. I'm not going due to lack of vacation. DH & DS will go. I can ask, but I don't think either would be receptive to the idea of traveling home with poults. LOL Mine is supportive of the hobby but has definite limits. DS and both DD's think I am nuts. None of them are animal people which I just don't get.

It looks like July but nothing definite yet.  I'm not going due to lack of vacation.  DH & DS will go.  I can ask, but I don't think either would be receptive to the idea of traveling home with poults.  LOL  Mine is supportive of the hobby but has definite limits.  DS and both DD's think I am nuts.  None of them are animal people which I just don't get. 

Now how could they not love all the fuzzy little butts? In my opinion they're nuts!

Unless its for financial reasons you can still get the time off with family leave. Just a matter of getting all the paper work in. I'm hoping and praying everything goes well for him. It kind of scares me because I have a pea sized cyst on my pituitary that they are watching. Makes me wonder if it had something to do with weight gain. Either that or I just ate too much turkey. Of course it happened around the same time I was injured and my activity went from turbo to out of steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom