Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
We are trying to create a market around here with nice birds, we have everything from Australorps to Chocolate Orpington Banatams. We are getting $25-35 for laying hens depending on age and quality of course more for the odder/rarer stuff. These prices are not for everyone(some people gripe and want them for 12-15 each, I will do $15-20 if someone is buying several birds at one time or give them a rooster with 4 hens. We start day old up to 5 day old chicks at $4 each and get $15-35 for the cool stuff. I have people all around me selling cheaper but I have been to some of these places and would never buy a bird from them. We have people drive 15 minutes to buy birds and constantly people traveling 2-3 hours(this blows my bind). First sell of this year I had a couple and their daughter drive 3 and half hours to buy 4 Buff Orpingtons and paid $90 3 hens and one free roo. So market is in what you want to do. Sometimes high volume requires low price(not always) but we all know quality and healthy is expensive. All that being said if at the end of the season I have left overs that I need to clear out then we will drop the price.
My bantam chocolate ORPS are $30 each a little cheaper if someone wants several.
I don't do Tolbunts
nor Large Fowl Chocos

Just my 2 cents

Thank you for your two cents!

ok that is a bazzare yet cute little NN chick there. lol

I dont compaire our prices for birds with others unless they have the exact same quality we do on the exact same breed. I never compare with someone in another state since local markets dictate the prices you can ask. I have also found that people will brag to have this line or that line and charge crazy prices based on "a line" and really not have a clue what they are talking about and dont know how to cull properly for breeding. I have my lines, I may buy breeding stock from Joe Breeder located in X, but when I raise them up, and place them with my choice of breeding companion they become MY LINES and my lines only. Unless the person who;s lines you brag at having is actively helping you make cull choices and breeding pairings you are breeding your own lines. You have obtained stock from source X,Y,Z and selected from them on your own to breed and offer egg and hatchlings from.

See, I want to know what you are charging so I can wrap my head around a price. I am not selling my birds around here and where I am going the prices and market are higher/better. Like I said, $10 here is crazy talk to many. Where I am going, $10 for a basic, pure POL pullet is cheap and I'm sold out in no time.

I don't even care about breeders names. I just want to know a fair price for these birds because I have no basis to price my birds because no one local has birds of my quality. Thanks for the help though....

just came home to finding my boss Muscovy drake dead. It looks like a dog attack. I'm mad enough to chew nails right now!!!! I've called neighbors to see if anyone's spotted a loose dog. Sucker will die of heavy metal poisoning if he wanders back on my place!!! Checked my other pens to make sure it hadn't tried to dig in anywhere with no signs, just my big blue drake.... dang it all....It took me almost a stinkin' year to find a nice blue drake
somad.gif

I'm going to dog gone bed

just came home to finding my boss Muscovy drake dead. It looks like a dog attack. I'm mad enough to chew nails right now!!!! I've called neighbors to see if anyone's spotted a loose dog. Sucker will die of heavy metal poisoning if he wanders back on my place!!! Checked my other pens to make sure it hadn't tried to dig in anywhere with no signs, just my big blue drake.... dang it all....It took me almost a stinkin' year to find a nice blue drake
somad.gif

I'm going to dog gone bed
So sorry about your loss
hugs.gif

I just wanted to share that my first gosling has pipped! On the wrong end... I broke the hole open a bit more and covered it in a wet towel since it was starting to shrink wrap (it hasn't absorbed everything or I'd assist it). Funny thing is, I only turned these eggs every so often and never misted/cooled them. I have my incubator locked down every 3-4 days and couldn't be there the whole time. I have 2 more eggs that are viable from this setting - 3 out of 4 made it to lock down.

I also just hatched 17 ducklings, 5 bantam Choc orps, 3 LF Choc/Split Orps and many black/ blue and Mille Fleur bantam Cochins in the last 24hrs!

I just wanted to share that my first gosling has pipped! On the wrong end... I broke the hole open a bit more and covered it in a wet towel since it was starting to shrink wrap (it hasn't absorbed everything or I'd assist it). Funny thing is, I only turned these eggs every so often and never misted/cooled them. I have my incubator locked down every 3-4 days and couldn't be there the whole time. I have 2 more eggs that are viable from this setting - 3 out of 4 made it to lock down.

I also just hatched 17 ducklings, 5 bantam Choc orps, 3 LF Choc/Split Orps and many black/ blue and Mille Fleur bantam Cochins in the last 24hrs!

Yay for lots of new babies!!!
ya.gif
Congrats!

Questions for you guys...... 1. How long is it reasonable to wait for "spring" eggs? and
2. as summer is upon us should we be delaying sending eggs till fall?

I have been so excited to get these swap eggs - some swapped for in October 2012 so over 6 months ago. The wait has been killing me and now I am afraid that if sent now, hatch rates will be poor as hatch rates on shipped eggs (at least to California) in Summer are virtually always dreadful.

Questions for you guys...... 1. How long is it reasonable to wait for "spring" eggs? and
2. as summer is upon us should we be delaying sending eggs till fall?

I have been so excited to get these swap eggs - some swapped for in October 2012 so over 6 months ago. The wait has been killing me and now I am afraid that if sent now, hatch rates will be poor as hatch rates on shipped eggs (at least to California) in Summer are virtually always dreadful.
Spring officially isnt over until the first day of Summer in June, which is Friday the 21st of June. Spring eggs not received by then are late.

Since not everone checks in here often, be sure you read and re-read the rules after taking breaks from swapping. There have been recent rule changes again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom