hatching geese eggs

68930_100_2886.jpg

and more cuteness they are best buds. the call duck thought her how to eat and find the water.

oh no one ever said anything about the noise baby geese make. it is so much cutier than a duck or chick peep. i call it a peep whistle. it sounds like she whistles when i pick her up.

I'm very late to the party but I'm joining anyway
wink.png

Currently I have 1 (bought) emdben goose-ling about 5 weeks old; 1 goose-ling and 1 gander-ling hatched from my Embdens about 4 weeks old; another goose-ling from my embdens about 2 weeks old; 2 Embden goose-lings from Ideal about 1 1/2 weeks old; a 'pair' of white sebbie babies who are just a few days old. Then I've got another 4 eggs from my embdens due to hatch in about a week; 4 'mixed' goose eggs I bought for $1.50 each--set on the 16th; 4 white sebbie eggs set on the 8th; and 5 toulouse eggs set on the 23rd.

All the babies from these eggs will be sold except for the sebbies. With my current flock of embdens (3-4 males and 1-2 females) plus my babies (1 boy and 5 girls), I think I'm good on embdens for next year. The toulouse were a swap and the mixed were bought cause they were cheap. Plus I just like hatching goslings...they are so sweet!
love.gif

If anyone needs additional info, my BYC page is THE sticky for hatching goose eggs. I consulted with several people here on BYC to create it, it is pretty thorough. I don't follow it to a T but it's a good guide.

For my 'techniques' I do the following:

First off, they are in my hatcher, so they've been wollered to death by various chicks for the duration;
the humidity ranges from 40% when nothing's hatching to 65%+ when something's hatching.
I do NOT mist the eggs, the air cells are fine without it.
I turn the eggs only once a day
hide.gif

I wrap the eggs in a warm washcloth when they are pipped if they seem to be having trouble.

It works for me, the 2 sebbie babies are from shipped eggs, 2 of 3 hatched. #3 was backwards in the egg and didn't make it. Of my embdens (the first had the hatcher to themselves so it wasn't a contamination problem or anything) I had 3 of 4 hatch. I didn't open #4 to see what happened, though I probably should have. I use a Hovabator 1583.
smile.png

Critterranch, your gosling is adorable!
love.gif
How old is he/she? Do you know if it's a boy or a girl? I'd guess a girl. Sorry the others didn't make it.
sad.png

I was quite fortunate in that I had 4 of my 5 fertile eggs hatch. I emailed the breeder to tell her of my results and she emailed back to say that I was the only one who had any hatchlings of all the eggs she had shipped out this year, so I feel especially fortunate. I think I have 3 boys and 1 girl.

Pete, I honestly don't know if they are dewlap toulouse, I never got to see the adults as the seller was getting ready to leave for work when I arrived. I never thought to ask either, I guess because it didn't matter to me either way. (I don't remember if the seller had a picture with his ad, I had ordered them so long ago.) I'll ask once I determine if they're fertile as I will be contacting the seller then. Thanks for asking.

Pete and Balbinka, your parrots are gorgeous.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
What did you pay for the eggs?

If you're asking me, my sebbies which are the 4 that have hatched were around $34 shipped and the toulouse were $6/ a dozen, but he only had 11. I picked them up when we drove to Ohio to get a doeling (female baby goat) that we had purchased, they were only 15 minutes apart.

Last edited:
critterranch cute pic.

shelleyd2008 Welcome aboard shelley. I have some pilgrims due in a couple of days. A bunch more in about a week.

Quote:
What did you pay for the eggs?

If you're asking me, my sebbies which are the 4 that have hatched were around $34 shipped and the toulouse were $6/ a dozen, but he only had 11. I picked them up when we drove to Ohio to get a doeling (female baby goat) that we had purchased, they were only 15 minutes apart.

I was asking about the toulouse
smile.png

Dewlap toulouse eggs routinely sell for $40-$50 each, so I'd say you've got some good old production toulouse
smile.png
Enjoy!
DSC00028.jpg

Back
Top Bottom