Hatching gooslings in Northern California April 15th?

Diamond Wire Farms

Songster
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Placerville, CA
Hey Everyone,
From early candling, I am anticipating a solo gosling to arrive April 15th-17th.
I was hoping to find someone near me with goslings due around the same time.
I am not looking for a freebie. Breed really doesn't matter. I just don't want a lonely gosling crying for a week while I scramble to find it a friend.
Our feedstores MIGHT MIGHT MIGHT have geese by April 15th, but they have all been running late this year.
Please let me know if you have anything. I am in the Sacramento area, but willing to drive.

Thanks,
Shannon

I'm currently raising a lone gosling myself. I was considering getting a duckling from the feed store for him, but decided not to after all. I'm brooding him in the house so he is exposed to all kind of interaction. In the evening he is sitting on my lap on a towel and enjoys watching TV. I think he will be fine.

Last edited:
Thanks Duck ABCs. If I can't find a gosling, I will look for a duckling. Maybe a larger breed?

My only worry about raising it alone is that we already have one imprinted gander. He was a rescue and he refuses to associate with the geese.
He prefers to think of me and the Pot belly pig as his mates. He sleeps on top of her in the barn at night.

I got these eggs hoping to get a female Sebastopol to pair with one of my males. So having a goose that doesn't want to be a goose, might be a problem.
With my luck and only one developing, it is likely to be a boy anyway!

I'm sorry you've just made me crack up with the goose and the pot belly pig. Perhaps you can call Metzer Farms and ask if you can get a gosling on short notice. I know it is a 3-4 hour drive down to Gonzales (depending on what route you choose), but it may be worse it. On the other hand it may be cheaper to get locally a large duckling. A Pekin may be a good choice.

I also know the odds of getting what you want. It will promptly be the opposite. I've just received 5 more goose eggs, we will see what hatches from that in a month.

My gosling is 5 days old now and he thinks he is human, dog, and perhaps cat. We will see what he thinks when he meets the ducks when he is ready to spend some time outside.

Back
Top Bottom