Hatching only 1 Egg? Advice needed

I’d say quail or seramas might be better for hatching and keeping indoors, but the same still goes for possible unhappiness.

I’d say quail or seramas might be better for hatching and keeping indoors, but the same still goes for possible unhappiness.
Quail are not as friendly and docile as chickens. And seramas are very difficult to hatch and raise, because the eggs are too small and some are just not viable, and the breed has a lethal gene that the selfish humans who create and propagate breeds don’t care about. Seramas are a mutant, like most fancy breeds of domestic animal, and are bred for people’s amusement despite genetic and health problems. So the lethal gene causes high mortality in the egg. Seramas also have dwarf legs that are too short for the chick to turn properly inside the egg, which drops the hatch rate even further. The chickens - young or grown - also can’t maintain body heat well. Chicks can get chilled and die under conditions that would seem fine to you, or to other breed chicks, and the adults remain sensitive to temperature. I would not breed, hatch, or buy seramas for ethical reasons because of all that. But that’s just my decision. Ethics aside, they are fragile and difficult, and not a good choice for inexperienced folks or those who want to get a single egg to hatch.

Quail are not as friendly and docile as chickens. And seramas are very difficult to hatch and raise, because the eggs are too small and some are just not viable, and the breed has a lethal gene that the selfish humans who create and propagate breeds don’t care about. Seramas are a mutant, like most fancy breeds of domestic animal, and are bred for people’s amusement despite genetic and health problems. So the lethal gene causes high mortality in the egg. Seramas also have dwarf legs that are too short for the chick to turn properly inside the egg, which drops the hatch rate even further. The chickens - young or grown - also can’t maintain body heat well. Chicks can get chilled and die under conditions that would seem fine to you, or to other breed chicks, and the adults remain sensitive to temperature. I would not breed, hatch, or buy seramas for ethical reasons because of all that. But that’s just my decision. Ethics aside, they are fragile and difficult, and not a good choice for inexperienced folks or those who want to get a single egg to hatch.
Are you referring to micro Seramas? I have had zero health issues like that from any of mine. They hatch well, are very sweet, and have done great for me. They don’t handle cold temps well, but that shouldn’t be a problem indoors.

Back
Top Bottom