Hatching peafowl with a broody chicken

Thanks I couldn't believe how much they gained. I started to worry maybe it was too much. I'm still feeding them the medicated game bird starter. How long should they be on it?

Quote:
The information I read on the bag of Medicated chick starter says twenty weeks. I am not sure if that is really necessary or a selling point by the manufacturer. I like to assume that the big manufacturers like Purina, etc. have done lots of studies and know what an animal needs and how long they need it. Perhaps I am nieve.

I made a pile of sticks and stuff in the middle of the pen for them to hide in. They love it. Here is a picture of the yellow ones head it's kind of blurry but you can see the feathers coming out.
Aww, so adorable! I love it.
Quote:
The information I read on the bag of Medicated chick starter says twenty weeks. I am not sure if that is really necessary or a selling point by the manufacturer. I like to assume that the big manufacturers like Purina, etc. have done lots of studies and know what an animal needs and how long they need it. Perhaps I am nieve.
Now you have me wondering what my bag says. I'm going to check it and see. But I'm feeding medicated 30% protein. How long for that high of a % do you think?

I feed 27% turkey that's medicated with bacitracin, which is used in turkeys to promote growth and prevent necrotic enteritis. I would use something medicated with amprolium, but it only comes in 20% and I like the way they grow on the 27%. That said, knock wood, I have not seen any leg issues, but I don't hatch that many, so who knows...

-Kathy

Quote:
From what I have read that is too high of a percentage, I feed 23% You could cut it down, but that would delute the medication. There have been reports of leg problems when using high percentage protein feed, I have not seen it.
I feed 27% turkey that's medicated with bacitracin, which is used in turkeys to promote growth and prevent necrotic enteritis. I would use something medicated with amprolium, but it only comes in 20% and I like the way they grow on the 27%. That said, knock wood, I have not seen any leg issues, but I don't hatch that many, so who knows... -Kathy
I just checked the bag. It is 28% protein, medicated with amprolium. Honestly, they aren't huge fans of the feed. I've spoiled them rotten. They eat large superworms (mealworms) 3xday. And they pick at the feed in-between. They are due to be weighed. Would their weight indicate if they were receiving to much protein?

Quote:
I feed 27% turkey that's medicated with bacitracin, which is used in turkeys to promote growth and prevent necrotic enteritis. I would use something medicated with amprolium, but it only comes in 20% and I like the way they grow on the 27%. That said, knock wood, I have not seen any leg issues, but I don't hatch that many, so who knows...

-Kathy
I just checked the bag. It is 28% protein, medicated with amprolium. Honestly, they aren't huge fans of the feed. I've spoiled them rotten. They eat large superworms (mealworms) 3xday. And they pick at the feed in-between. They are due to be weighed. Would their weight indicate if they were receiving to much protein?
They are probably heavier than chicks raised on 20%, but I'm sure they're fine...

-Kathy

So here are my peachicks now. They are almost 4 weeks. Can anyone tell their sex yet? Or what the lighter one's color or breed is? They are gaining weight really good. The brown one is 259g and the lighter one is 229g.

No longer any extra room at the kitchen table....

1f633.png

She has graduated from a pet bed on the floor to the chair at the kitchen table. Poor little peababy runs around under the table looking for her. My niece is calling this baby Speakers because she is the loudest baby you ever heard in your life when she can't find mom. You can hear her from 1/2 block away!

Back
Top Bottom