hatching rates for OEGB/Japanese bantam?

marinakirsten

In the Brooder
May 26, 2023
Hello!

Was wondering if anybody has experience hatching OEGB or Japanese bantams? if so, what are your hatching rates like?

I’ve let different broodies hatch out OEGB/Japanese bantam cross eggs 3 times now, and the hatching rates are low. first year only 2/6 hatched
2nd batch only 3/10 hatched

both times every single egg reached full term and either died while hatching or never externally pipped.

just now wrapping up my most recent batch and so far 4/5 have hatched and the last one is pipping, but my nosy/curious self decided to intervene and help the pipped eggs hatch to help the odds. After they hatched I just slid them back under mom.

Now my question still stands, are these breeds known to have low hatch rates? or have I just had shit luck?

Upon watching the ones i intervened on hatch, I noticed that they all seem to have a really difficult time breaking through the shell. Almost like they’re too tired or not strong enough to fully break through the shell?

Would love to hear about your experiences!!

So I've hatched mix breeds and a few bantams and the main problem is with fertility, but it's also mostly humidity in my opinion. With every broody or incubator hatch I write down everything. I can show you a Google docs page one one of the few bantam hatches I did. If you'd like?

Back
Top Bottom