Sponsored Post Hatching the Facts on Medicated Chick Starter Feeds for Layers

ive never used any medication or medicated feed on any of my chickens/ducks . never had a random death that wasn't natural or an out break. just clean coop an fresh water has always work. but some people swear by it so i guess what ever works for you ...
D.gif

OH GREAT ! I just bought 4 bags of Purina Layena feed ~ it was on sale. Chickens seem to be doing fine though ~ crossing fingers. When this is gone ~ no more ! I do not like to use any more chemicals with my animals than absolutely necessary. Do not worm willy nilly. Got a microscope off e-bay and fecasol off Internet. Check poop for parasites to see if worming is necessary. Over worming has caused parasite resistance in equine in a number of southern states to ivermectin.
hu.gif
I DO feed baby chicks med. feed. If I had a child I would vac. for childhood diseases, so why wouldn't I want my chicks to have the same resistance to disease with medicated feed. It is not something you feed "forever". After a year of trying EVERYTHING to get rid of fleas I finally broke down and put my dogs on Trifexis - one dog, and the other on Comfortis. Do not really like putting poisons in my animals but I like the fleas even less. It is the only thing I found that works and I think it is better than the topical oils you put down their back. It didn't work anyway. The dogs are happier and so am I. I think the answer to all the chemicals and poisons is MODERATION,
yesss.gif
and if you can find something natural that works ~ USE IT.
A lot of folks use Seven Dust which is one of the VERY WORSE
tongue.gif
chemicals you can use. When it breathed it turns to a jelly like substance in the lungs and stays there. Caution should be used with D.E. also. THINK about it.
roll.png
It is tiny SHARP micro. organisms. What do you think they do when they are breathed? When all else fails read the directions ! (Or do it first.) Thanks to everyone for their post ~ sharing info. That is what makes B.Y.C. so GREAT !
Yes, PLEASE use caution when using DE and ALWAYS ALWAYS wear a mask! I didn't know much when starting out and was quite over zealous with the DE, allowing it to fly everywhere, of course while not wearing a mask, breathing all of it in. I turned up with a lung infection that just refused to do away and only got worse. I ended up having to get on antibiotics for several weeks to clear it up. So, while you are picking up that DE, stop in the hardware section and pick up a bag of masks!!!

OH GREAT !   I just bought 4 bags of Purina Layena feed ~ it was on sale.  Chickens seem to be doing fine though ~ crossing fingers.  When this is gone ~ no more !  I do not like to use any more chemicals with my animals than absolutely necessary.  Do not worm willy nilly.  Got a microscope off e-bay and fecasol off Internet.  Check poop for parasites to see if worming is necessary.  Over worming has caused parasite resistance in equine in a number of southern states to ivermectin. :confused:  I DO feed baby chicks med. feed.  If I had a child I would vac. for childhood diseases, so why wouldn't I want my chicks to have the same resistance to disease with medicated feed.  It is not something you feed "forever".  After a year of trying EVERYTHING to get rid of fleas I finally broke down and put my dogs on Trifexis - one dog, and the other on Comfortis.  Do not really like putting poisons in my animals but I like the fleas even less. It is the only thing I found that works and I think it is better than the topical oils you put down their back.  It didn't work anyway.  The dogs are happier and so am I.  I think the answer to all the chemicals and poisons is MODERATION,:yesss:  and if you can find something natural that works ~ USE IT.
A lot of folks use Seven Dust which is one of the VERY WORSE :tongue  chemicals you can use.  When it breathed it turns to a jelly like substance in the lungs and stays there.  Caution should be used with D.E. also.  THINK about it.:rolleyes:   It is tiny SHARP micro. organisms.  What do you think they do when they are breathed?   When all else fails read the directions !  (Or do it first.)   Thanks to everyone for their post ~ sharing info. That is what makes B.Y.C. so GREAT !

If DE is doing harm to our lungs then what is it doing to our chickens/animals?

What about those of us who have no other choice but feed like purina or southern states. This is me and I have a bag of medicated feed made by purina in my closet. I have no other choice but this or ss feed and certainly if I had a better choice I would choose it!! I can't afford to order and no places close enough I can drive. I wouldn't and have never touched purina dog food, we use taste of the wild grain free dog food for our dogs and the results are astounding compared to cheaper food!

But back to topic...
Our yard stays wet and while we are working on better drainage for the coop area I still feel for us maybe medicated is best at least for the first few weeks. However, I try to do everything all natural and organic as far as the rest of my life is concerned! I make my own shampoos, conditioners, laundry detergent use natural soaps, eat as healthy as we can etc.,.. I would LOVE to have an organic non gmo soy free food for my chickens but this just isn't possible!

Have you thought about ducks? They will never need medicated feed, not even if your yard is wet (they will love it). There are some very good duck layers. I have buff orpington ducks. They are the best. When I get up early in the morning they are all ready done laying and ready to come out (but not right now - snow). They don't peck others. They don't eat eggs. Eggs are bigger than chicken eggs and very easy to peel (right word?). They don't dig up the garden. And I sell a lot of eggs for incubation - pays for all the feed. But they are quite messy with water.

Last edited:
Have you thought about ducks? They will never need medicated feed, not even if your yard is wet (they will love it). There are some very good duck layers. I have buff orpington ducks. They are the best. When I get up early in the morning they are all ready done laying and ready to come out (but not right now - snow). They don't peck others. They don't eat eggs. Eggs are bigger than chicken eggs and very easy to peel (right word?). They don't dig up the garden. And I sell a lot of eggs for incubation - pays for all the feed. But they are quite messy with water.

As far as choosing ducks over chickens, nope. But adding a couple ducks or 4 then yes we have :) ... Not sure exactly when, but have definitely thought about it.

I used the Nutrena non-medicated starter on my chicks and they did well. My hens started to lay on time in about 28 weeks and I had no fatalities. All of my first year hens are still doing well and laying. I quit using Nutrena because the price was just too high for me. I started using an alternative vendor for starter ration. As far as medicated or non-medicated, It's a preference. Some want medicated for peace of mind and others don't want antibiotics in their eggs or meat. I can see both sides and many may think medication nullifies "organic". I appreciate the article and the conversation in the forum.

I have also heard that if you haven't had chickens before cocci are less of a threat. That's why it recommends medication if you brood over and over again.....as far as feed I have fed nutrena, and purina and not had problems... Not saying there aren't better feeds but I usually buy whatever's handy. I am probably going to go back to zamzows feed tho cuz it's a local garden store and Jim zamzow formulates the feed himself. I free range too so they get lots of goodies. This way they aren't just eating Kraft, they are getting their so called fruit and veggies ( thanks to whoever made the bag feed =Kraft metaphor)

When we got our first set of chickens, I just bought regular feed. About a month later one of them became sick with cocci. We medicated the water first with apple cider vinegar. The feed store was closed. Alas we lost her. I gave them all duramyacin in their water for 10 days. Just to be sure the others didnt get sick. At the time they were in a clean pen in the house. I picked up 2 more and they are on medicated feed just a 4lb bag. Once thats gone, I'll go to regular feed. I give them greens that are being stripped off the produce at the store for free. Not much to free range on right now, however we do have wood muclh from the firewood. I rake it up and stir it around for them to find the bugs. I suppose if you raise your own chickens you probably don't need the medication. Mine are from a huge farm, so they probably have more exposure to cocci.

Exactly.

Preventative measures I take to help chicks is by adding organic apple cider vinegar to their water. I help develop their natural gut flora with the good guys so that it is tougher for disease organisms to get a foot hold.

I use nature to work for me and my birds not against me.

The one thing I like about what was said is that the medication is low enough for exposure. Exposure is important. So far I have not raised a batch of 50 or larger. I can see how that could be problematic. I wonder if that just means we should use more space and separate batches to manageable numbers where out breaks are less likely to occur? I guess there are a few ways to skin a cat. I understand cutting costs down but maybe the truth is that the meat and eggs from these birds is really just more expensive.

Here's to healthy chicks.

Back
Top Bottom