Hatching under a broody hen info! Help!

Good luck! There's nothing like seeing newly hatched chick! I almost fell face-first out of the coop running to tell the others when I saw our first two had hatched:)
LOL OR you'll run inside with the hens first egg, trip and crush it!! LOL

Bad news..I decided to use a brighter light for candling. The light I was using was kinda dim. Egg Spook looks like it's infertile..I can't tell whats up with Egg Boo. I can see veins in it so it is fertile. Just don't know if it died....Bummed out!!! :/

*UPDATE* Day 7! Egg spook = infertile. Egg Boo is moving around!!!
ya.gif

i had a pullet go broody last month.i adopted three eggs from my dh nephew.(i don't have roosters)i marked the calander and on day 21 i had one hatch that was no bigger than a cotton ball.we were so excited and stood staring at it in awe.it is an exciting time.

i had a pullet go broody last month.i adopted three eggs from my dh nephew.(i don't have roosters)i marked the calander and on day 21 i had one hatch that was no bigger than a cotton ball.we were so excited and stood staring at it in awe.it is an exciting time.
Aww how cute!!

*UPDATE* Today is day 12!! Candled and Egg Boo is still alive and moving around, and of course bigger. My hen will be so happy:) Yay!

This is my first time hatching PERIOD! We sat my broody silkie over 7 eggs (4 silkies, 3 orpington) 2 were not fertile, 2 died so here we are on day 21-22 and have 4 eggs. One silkie pipped yesterday and broke through the membrane and shell sometime during the night. There hasn't been any "zipping" just the one hole...i can see the chickie breathing and its peeping in there...how long can this process take? Also how much longer should I leave the other 3 eggs to see if anything happens? I see some who leave them in incubators 25-28 days?? & yes yesterday I came out of the coop like a new mom when I saw that pip lol. We actually have 2 hens sharing the 4 eggs. Both hens are silkies.. it has been really fun watching them. My 7 year old is just dying for this egg to hatch! (can't say that he is the only one!!!)

WE HAVE A BABY!!!! Praying it ends up being an all black silkie bantam :) Atleast the silkie bantam part I can promise lol
Now to get the other 3 eggs to start hatching. Mom is still sitting on them all and snuggling the baby so if they don't hatch by friday I spose I will toss them :(

WE HAVE A BABY!!!! Praying it ends up being an all black silkie bantam :) Atleast the silkie bantam part I can promise lol
Now to get the other 3 eggs to start hatching. Mom is still sitting on them all and snuggling the baby so if they don't hatch by friday I spose I will toss them :(
OMG!!! Sooo cute!! Are you hatching bantam or large fowl? Does the chick hatch under the hen? Or is there a way you can see the chick hatching? Are you going to let the chicks outside with the hen? This is my first time with a broody hatch! Because it's kinda cold out I'm getting nervous. Hatch day is next week!! Keep me updated with your hatch!!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom