Hatching with 2 broodies

no not yet i will thanks
big_smile.png
although they are heavy

There Is A Weird Thing We Have Three Broody Chickens And They Are Still Pecking We Have A Broody Chicken That Pecks At Anybody That Comes Near Her Thanks

Joshua Hickman
hide.gif
idunno.gif
smack.gif

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I am on day 22 with 2 first time broodies. We have one live hatch so far, and 2 that died, but were out of the shell completely. Now the momma with the live hatch has moved her baby and one egg outta of the nesting box and into a corner. She left 3 eggs in there along with a dead chick. I am assuming that those eggs are bad since she left them. Any advice? Also, how long should I let the mommas sit on these eggs? We will definitely have a staggered hatch cuz one momma kept egg-napping everyone's eggs the first 3 days!!! Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Hey guys,
I am on day 22 with 2 first time broodies. We have one live hatch so far, and 2 that died, but were out of the shell completely. Now the momma with the live hatch has moved her baby and one egg outta of the nesting box and into a corner. She left 3 eggs in there along with a dead chick. I am assuming that those eggs are bad since she left them. Any advice? Also, how long should I let the mommas sit on these eggs? We will definitely have a staggered hatch cuz one momma kept egg-napping everyone's eggs the first 3 days!!! Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Hello,
Sorry about the two that didnt make it.
hit.gif

I would bury the dead chicks and give the remaining eggs to the other broody. A lot of times they will get up off their eggs to start to care for the newly arrived chick or chicks. That is the problem with a staggered hatch. Those eggs still may be good so dont give up on them. I would give them a few more days to see what happens. You can candle them also but you may not be able to see too much because the chick would be taking up most of the egg. Do not toss until your sure!
Good luck and happy hatching
jumpy.gif

hello all

we have about 5 broody hens, we were raising 20 chicks as soon as they hatched but the first two have died..

anyone give us some advice? as its happening currently this is kind of a rush..and our first time doing it this way.

hello all

we have about 5 broody hens, we were raising 20 chicks as soon as they hatched but the first two have died..

anyone give us some advice? as its happening currently this is kind of a rush..and our first time doing it this way.
What do you mean you are raising them? I dont understand, if you have a broody sitting on the eggs why cant she raise them? Please give more details and then we can help you.
Marie

WE as a family were wanting 20 chicks more.

the HENS are supposedly raising them but the first two are dead..i heard one chipping so i left her alone and came back and it was trampled.

WE as a family were wanting 20 chicks more.

the HENS are supposedly raising them but the first two are dead..i heard one chipping so i left her alone and came back and it was trampled.
Do you have your broodys seperated? I would let each broody hatch by themselves in a quiet protected area. That almost happened to one of my chicks once when two broodys were hatching together.They started fighting over the chicks and one baby got hurt. I would watch and see what is going on. Any more hatch yet?

Ok so i got back from my dads today. My mom told me a 2 weeks ago my hen went broody i told her to mark the egg. I let them freerange for awhile. I have 4 adult hens theres beatle my black birchin maran, rose my mix of buff orphington/ red star at the moment she has six chicks, blanch buff orphington/ red star current broody, dorthy buff orphington/ red star. Ok well two off them went under the front porch. I got dorthy out but the second one was harder to get out because it would get up so i finally had to scare it out. I thought it was rose because i sall one of them sitting on the nest so i figered it was blanche. Well it turns out that rose abanded her six chicks and decided to go broody again. Beatle has taken up the responsibility of taking care of the six chicks and blanche is still broody. If they dont stay in the same nest box i will split the eggs up. Six will go to rose and five will go to blanche. Hopefully they both stay broody and beatle takes good care of the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom