Hatching with 2 broodies

sad news... I checked on Wendy whose eggs are due tomorrow. a chick had already hatched, it was laid in the broody's nest so possibly had a head start. the others are not pipped yet. well, she crushed it. the chick hatched out completely, but she laid on it too hard and killed the chick. it was almost flattened into the nest. I pulled the other eggs and gave her fake ceramic eggs, the real ones are now in the hatcher.

what do I do??? how can I trust her now?? is it because she has not been sitting long enough, she doesn't know to keep her weight off them? I watched my other 2 broodies Beetlejuice and Bertha carefully hover over the chicks, lifting their bodies off them. is she just too heavy/fat? maybe if she sat the full 21 days she would be thinner. today is her day 8 or 9 I think. she was contributing to Bertha's nest for 10 days prior to sitting down solid.

I guess I am going to hatch these chicks inside. let them get a little stronger and then give them to her? how can I know that she won't kill them again?
sad.png
bleh

Edit: she is really PANCAKED into the nest hard. and there is a lot of nesting material in her box, a few inches thick and rounded out. maybe if I removed all the nesting material she couldn't crush them. I dunno
hit.gif

Last edited:
sad news... I checked on Wendy whose eggs are due tomorrow. a chick had already hatched, it was laid in the broody's nest so possibly had a head start. the others are not pipped yet. well, she crushed it. the chick hatched out completely, but she laid on it too hard and killed the chick. it was almost flattened into the nest. I pulled the other eggs and gave her fake ceramic eggs, the real ones are now in the hatcher.

what do I do??? how can I trust her now?? is it because she has not been sitting long enough, she doesn't know to keep her weight off them? I watched my other 2 broodies Beetlejuice and Bertha carefully hover over the chicks, lifting their bodies off them. is she just too heavy/fat? maybe if she sat the full 21 days she would be thinner. today is her day 8 or 9 I think. she was contributing to Bertha's nest for 10 days prior to sitting down solid.

I guess I am going to hatch these chicks inside. let them get a little stronger and then give them to her? how can I know that she won't kill them again?
sad.png
bleh

Edit: she is really PANCAKED into the nest hard. and there is a lot of nesting material in her box, a few inches thick and rounded out. maybe if I removed all the nesting material she couldn't crush them. I dunno
hit.gif

I am sorry...I had that happen to a chick in Gracie Belle's clutch too but it was another hen that did the smooshing.

Farmer Viola,
I had the same thing happen to Penny when she was hatching. A chick was born early and I found it dead by her head. I dont think she killed it because she is a great Mom. That was the only chick that hatched. I gave the rest of the eggs a few more days to try and hatch. They didnt so I went and got her some babies. No problem...

I wonder if there was something wrong with the chick? That is where my mind goes because I believe it is very rare that they kill them. That is just my opinion though. I dont want to steer you in any way but if it was me I wouldnt worry about giving her the babies as long as you supervise at first of course.
I am so sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Marie

I dunno, the way it was compressed right under her breast in the front was really... hard to see. I think she is just in her blind broody pancake. it's almost like she doesn't see with her eyes when she is in that mode, you know what I mean? I am so disappointed that I had to take them from her, I wanted them to hatch under her and feel all bonded.

when I give the chicks back to her after they hatch, should I do it at night so they are accepted? I wouldn't be able to monitor... maybe it will have to be during the day.

I dunno, the way it was compressed right under her breast in the front was really... hard to see. I think she is just in her blind broody pancake. it's almost like she doesn't see with her eyes when she is in that mode, you know what I mean? I am so disappointed that I had to take them from her, I wanted them to hatch under her and feel all bonded.

when I give the chicks back to her after they hatch, should I do it at night so they are accepted? I wouldn't be able to monitor... maybe it will have to be during the day.
I always did it at night and then went down to the coop at first light to see if all was well. It always was fortunately. Maybe someone else can chime in about adding them during the day. I would feel ok to do it if you could see how things go. If she pecks them a little sometimes it is to tell them to get under her. She starts schooling them right away.
Marie

Good morning Team Broody
frow.gif

Ugh, I have a severe case of Mondayitis; sitting at my office desk freezing my fingers off, brrrrrrrr
caf.gif

TG, funnily enough I also heard To Sir With Love on the garden radio the other day and sang it to LuLu
lau.gif

Looking forward to Godiva and bubby pictures
pop.gif

FV thank you for your kind words and I like the new name ‘Ranchateau’ It certainly appears that we made the right decision.

Bed time last night still had some confusion attached but again, that is to be expected as we all know how allergic chickens are to change
hide.gif

I am so sorry to read about your loss and dramas with Wendy’s hatch
sad.png

I do not have any experience with incubators and giving hatched chicks to broodys, sorry. I have read, however, that night time is best.

I am not sure about removing all the nesting material; I would think that if there was lots of nesting material, if she was a little ‘heavy’ with them, taking away any spongy support would not give them something to smoosh into?

Like 16 paws I wonder if there was not something amiss with this little one? Again, I am no expert and I also do not want to steer you in any way, but I would be surprised if she actually did squash it. Just my humble opinion but I do believe that a live chick would wriggle and squirm out from under any uncomfortable position mum might have it in? Maybe the chick was not a survivor and the reason it appeared squashed is that it had actually passed away and the squashing was where she was still sitting and it was not squirming out?

here are the babies: The dark one is probably a boy...head spot is usually a good indicator my luck the rest are boys too

Yes do it when it is VERY dark and w/o flashlights as much as possible. Isolate them to the degree most possible so the babies will learn her voice. I isolated for 2 day sand it went great going to do the same with these new little ones.

Good Luck!!!!

Tommysgirl,
They are just precious, I hope they are all girls. Are you going to put them with Mom tonight?

Why cant we invent something to tell if the EGG is a male or female? I am going to work on that. We could change the world!! Oh boy, I wish I had studied biology. There has to be a way....

Hey Team,
Well I'm sorry I haven't been on for ages as I have been very busy I hope everyone is well as well as there chickens & chicks :D everyone over here is good and guess what three weeks ago yesterday Sunshine my rhode rock hen went broody and she hatched out six cream crested legbar chicks which are auto-sexing and we have 3 hens, 2 cockerels and 1 mystery yellow fluff ball I am going to keep the two cockerels as they are going to be my new layers and breeders next year but also my uncle had put the same cream crested legbar eggs in his incubator and some other breed eggs just a day after sunshine had her eggs so last night we gave her six chicks from the incubator 4 hens, 1 black mottled Peking chick and another yellow mystery fluff ball and then what ever else hatches today we are also going to give her sunshine is such a good mummy and has taken to them straight away mhhmmm it's going to be a strange sight to see a hen with 15 odd chicks Lol I will make sure to post lots of pics also Millie's two chicks are grown up now the one with the black bobble on its head turned out to be a cockerel and the more goldfish one a hen I have now sold the cockerel to a lovely lady. But as for Muffin she turned out to be not such a good mum she hatched two chicks out and one just suddenly went missing with no traces and then the remaining chick she did have was very small and never thrived and at night the little thing would go and sleep under Maddy with her three babies but a couple of days ago the little one just went missing again with no traces and I was very unhappy I do not think I am going to let Muffin hatch any more chicks out as I don't want this to happen again :hit but on the other hand Maddy successfully hatched out all three of the eggs I gave her and she is a brilliant mum I will try and post pics of everyone.
Take Care
P.s congrats teila on your egg from Cilla
Ella

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom