Have pics of Royal Palm poults?

mtnchicks

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 23, 2007
Colorado
I have a sneaking suspicion that the poults I have are not Royal Palms. I ordered them through my feed store, so they were mixed in with several varieties. My first trip, I ended up with 2 Spanish Blacks ( I know, they look nothing like RPs, but the guys there insisted they were). I haven't had turkeys before, so I didn't want to disagree with them, even though I had seen photos on Feathersite. Two days later I had a call: they had made a terrible mistake and my RPs were still there. I went back down and was given two white poults. Sounded good. But they are growing SO much faster than the blacks! Now I'm wondering if I have a different breed. It wouldn't matter much if we were going to eat them, but we wanted them as pets. I know any breed can make a good, friendly bird, but I love the looks of the Royal Palm.
I will post a pic as soon as I can. I was told that RP poults are all white, while the other all white types have a buttery yellow head, but is that accurate? Thanks for any help!

As day-olds I could not tell my royals from commercial white meat turkeys, but the meat ones grew up so fast.

You will know latests when they are growing in the shoulder and upper arm feathers, if they come in pure white I would go uh-oh, if they come in with a bit of black you got a royal.

I wish I had pics to show the dif stages but my royals have always been such spooky babies I never got a decend picture.

Another give away that you have meat turkeys is that they spend most of their time eating!!!!

Last edited:
Our RP Poults (3 weeks). You can see a little black on their wings.

RP_Poult.jpg

Back
Top Bottom