Have two Survivors out of 5 Hatchers ?????

ChickenRookieFMVA

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Ok, so first let me say that it has been a really rough week. Tuesday, Day 21, we had nothing. Wednesday, Day 22 We had One pip Unzip and die before it got out. Thursday, Day 23, Four pipped and 2 hatched. Today Day 24 Came into two fluffly Chicks, but one was very badly crook legged. Bleeding from one leg and could see the bone/ cartlidge whatever is in a chicken leg sticking out. Couldn't walk at all. Farmer said was in too bad of shape had to be put down.(CRUD!)

Hatched out Two Pipped by tweaser sponge, One alot, one just a little... Both lived for a lil while however right when we thought they were really pepping up both drinking, chirping moving around The one we barely helped get un stuck just fell over dead.... EEEK! What in the world I think he tuckered its heart out being stuck for so long. Absolutley devestating. So with 2 left out of the 4 hatchers and fingers crossed that those 2 chicks survived the school day some "chick save" was brought in and placed in water.

We were obsessive about Humidity and Temperature. I know not to beat myself up too bad, but with only two survivers, one of which has an issue with leg/toes curled, I can't help feel like I did something wrong. I also have two chicks that were fully grown that never pipped/ hatched. Dunno why they waited so long to start and why some didn't.

I really feel like I should have helped them get out sooner. I was trying to follow the rules of letting them hatch on their own in there own time but I think that is why so many died and have leg issues. Wish I would have been more experienced with knowing when to intervene.

The two survivor Chicks which we named Washington and Lincoln survived the day. Lincoln has a foot issue but is eating and drinking. Washigton our first fully hatched chick is a spunky lil fella. Also drinking and eating and running around. Still feel like Lincoln Is a little to weak and damaged to survive but that is in god's hands now. I hope they both make it.

The screams a cheers of excitement as the chicks hatched from students was absolutly priceless. Would do it a million times for that. I think the fact that some didn't make it made a more educational experiece about survival and real life.

Although it didn't bother the kids I dunno how long it will be before I get up the courage to do this again. Can't take the fully developed dead chicks. It breaks my heart.

I am thinking I need to incubate again at my house so I can better control the incubator day/night.

I really just wonder what I could have done better to increase my odds of healthy strong chicks?

Sorry to hear about the loss. Its tough saying what happened, but I would say that trying again at home is a good bet. Where did you get the eggs from? Maybe the chicks had weak/bad genetics? How long did you leave them in the incubator after hatching? What was the temperature of the brooder? Did you or the kids handle them a lot after hatching? Was everything kept fairly sterile?

I find that the day count really only matters to us, 20-24 days seems more accurate, everyone stating 21 days makes you feel like something is wrong when they dont all burst out of their shells on that 21st day

Best of luck! Hope you try again!'

Got eggs from a wonderful breeder. A student in my class brought in all the supplies from their chicken farm. The chicks were left in the incubator until they fluffed. A little over 24 hours. The chickens were only handled by myself and the owner to encourage to eat and drink.

It was an good experience. Although it was very hard for me emotionaly, to lose that many, my students never knew it. They felt highly successful that we had two chick survivors. I made sure from the get go that they never really knew how many didn't make it and that they knew that there was a chance of lots or no chicks at all.

I and the students learned Soooooo Much! It was a priceless experience for all.

All things considered we were lucky to have any hatch it was very difficult to maintain the temperature of the bator in the evenings and weekends when the schools air system shuts off. I would guess that at least half of the nights of incubation that temperture was at 98.5 instead off 99.5. I even came in one morning after a really cold night once to a 95 that was probally Day 7. Think this was the core of the problem due to the late hatch.

Regardless, I beleive God had a reason for the tough hatch. Besides the academic lessons about life cycles, Temperature, artifical and real heat, etc. It taught patience, the miracle of life, and the true meaning of not counting your chicks before they hatch, how precious life is. I find that my classroom as a whole was very calm around the eggs and the babies.

I was absolutly shocked when I and the farming teacher down the hall were very quietly trying to save the struggling, and maintain the survivors for a solid 30 min span. Students were in seats with nothing to do, and sat patiently and very quietly. (That is a miracle in it self for 23, 7 and 8 year olds.)

I would definetly do it again with a digital incubator that could maintain it self no matter the air outside the bator.

Although it was hard to post the hard parts and losses I thought it might help others that were going through similar and maybe inform others to help thier experiences. Based on my newbie experience I think if they can't get out themselves they probally were not meant to survive. But If your have a personality like mine you are probally unable to let them not make it after they have pipped for so long (over 24 hours).

Update on survivors: Washington was eating and drinking last night, Lincoln Eating and drinking but still having an issue with its foot.

Last edited:
You identified your problem - room temperature. I lent my incubator to my son's teacher last year and he had similar problems. You MUST keep the incubator in a room where the temperature doesn't vary too much and definitely cannot go below 60 overnight/weekends.

I'm afraid any hatch you try will have the same results. Possibly if the weather is hot enough you might have better hatch/survival rate.

Yea although we will never know for sure, That is the only logical assumption that I can make. We had a really cold start to spring especially at night so although is barely dropped it was enough to delay. Dunno why we had so much movement on Day 17 though. And the lock down weekend was record high temps. and perfect when I came in on Monday. Who knows? Chicken Incubation is not as easy as it seems.

Least we got two!

Back
Top Bottom