have what looks like blood blister on foot

chickkrzi

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2011
Waco texas
Was checking on the little ones today and saw my 9 week old drake limping. Found what looks like a blood blister on webbing . Didn't see any open wounds so I don't think it's a infection. It does seem to bother him as he mostly just sits around. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Wow I have not ever seen something like that on webbing. I would put an Epsom salt compress on it a few times a day for a few days - it is pretty good at drawing and soothing inflammation. I wonder if something bit the duck?

I don't know but I did find one website were a guy said a scorpion bit his duck on the foot and it swelled up something similar to that. of course his duck at other symptoms as well that my duck doesn't have. we did with some antibacterial cream on it foot And putting him a nice clean environment. I didn't think about soaking his foot thanks for the idea

What about an antihistamine cream like benadryl? This is just a thought - I don't know if it's indicated for waterfowl.

Has the E.s. helped any? How is the patient today?

Checked on him this afternoon and he seem to be doing a lot better. The blister looks to have drained. But he still walks with a slight limp. Seeing the swelling has gone down I can see a small puncture. Might have stepped on something and injured his foot. Soaked his foot again. Put more cream on. Gave him some meal worms, and clean out his cage and put new bedding in. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

I have the same problem with my duckling i was cleaning out her coop when she ran under me and I accidentally stepped on her foot now she has a blood blister on the webbing of her foot I don't know what I should do about it but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem hope it's not to serious

What is great about this BYC forum is a thread that is nearly 10 years old can help solve a mystery today! One of my hens has a similar "blood blister" and any "chicken/aviary/exotic" vet has no availability or on vacation. As summer is now coming on I've seen an abundance of spiders, scorpions and more snakes than I care to count. My girls free-range most of the day in woods and open grassy areas, so it doesn't surprise me she may have been bitten by "something." When she didn't show up for treats (my way of doing a "head count" before bedtime), I found her under the porch in a dust bath hole refusing to come out or walk. For the past 3 days I've soaked her feet and today (day 4) I've noticed the blood-blister smaller and she's up and walking around. She was always alert and eating well, which was a relief. But also finding this thread made me realize how valuable this forum! Thank you all for sharing and helping spread knowledge!!

Back
Top Bottom