My duckling injured her bill

My15Ducks

Songster
May 17, 2023
Hawaii
My 5 week old duckling, Speck, injured her bill yesterday. I don’t think it’s too serious but I’d appreciate any opinions. Do I need to worry more 😬

In the morning I saw a streak of blood on her bill so I cleaned it and discovered a tiny poke, like slightly larger than a pinhole. I put some antibiotic ointment on it but I noticed the surrounding area was swollen and today it is more swollen, like the size of a dry bean on top of her bill. I’m thinking it’s either bruising or a blood blister? I hope it will just subside and be fine but if there’s anything else I should be doing..

Speck is eating and drinking and behaving normally. She is the runt and has overcome a lot so I’m really sad this happened. I’m guessing she scratched it on the chicken wire. I don’t know what else could have happened.

Attachments

• EE806A93-95F3-4D75-9C36-FBBFBDE77911.jpeg
    EE806A93-95F3-4D75-9C36-FBBFBDE77911.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 23
They will poke their heads in just about anywhere. I think what your doing is fine, Add some ACV with mother to their drinking water it can help with healing and kill bad bacteria. I use 1 Tab to a gallon of water it does not burn at that strength.

They will poke their heads in just about anywhere. I think what your doing is fine, Add some ACV with mother to their drinking water it can help with healing and kill bad bacteria. I use 1 Tab to a gallon of water it does not burn at that strength.
Thanks! I did add it to her water today. It’s more swollen but she’s still acting good.

She is such a pretty girl [is Speck a girl] ?I see the bill do you think it is like a hematoma where blood has accumulated? How did Speck get a whole face wash did you help. lol

She is such a pretty girl [is Speck a girl] ?I see the bill do you think it is like a hematoma where blood has accumulated? How did Speck get a whole face wash did you help. lol
I don’t actually know Speck’s gender yet😅 Originally I thought she looked like a girl but I don’t know.

I was wondering about a hematoma or blood blister. It feels slightly soft. As long as it doesn’t get infected, it should probably go away on its own, right?

Haha, yes I bathed Speck’s face. I used a little towel and some warm water with a drop of baby shampoo. She wasn’t too happy but looks so much better

I think the blood blister hematoma do eventually absorb back into the body But Lets see if @ruthhope knows.
Is she making any type of noise to give you an idea? How old is she now?
She’s 5 weeks and 2 days old. I noticed today that her voice is changing a bit and I’d optimistically say it sounded a bit quackish! But I’ll keep Speck whether she’s a boy or girl. I’m making a bachelor flock for my extra males

I think the blood blister hematoma do eventually absorb back into the body But Lets see if @ruthhope knows.
Is she making any type of noise to give you an idea? How old is she now?
Silly Speck getting in the wars at such a tender age.

The blister will heal just fine. I think the top layer will flake off and then any remaining red blood cells will wash off. No you should NOT be worrying more, @My15Ducks The bill will be fine before you have a fully feathered juvenile.

Back
Top Bottom