Have you ever wondered "Where did all these chickens come from?!?!"

RareBreedFancier

Surrounded by Broodies
9 Years
Nov 5, 2010
Australia :)
DH was on the phone tonight to his sister and was talking about my chickens.

He's saying "Oh there must be around 25 of them, that's right isn't it?"

"Erm... somewhere upwards of 25...."

"What, like 30 of them?"

"Erm... something like that..."

"What do you mean 'something like that' HOW MANY ARE THERE???"

"Um... I'd have to count 'em"

*silence*

I hope he's forgotten because I just added them up, including the babies there are 62 of them!
ep.gif
th.gif
hide.gif

Where did all these chickens come from??? It's chicken math!!! No wonder I'm dreaming up creative penning plans for the coming breeding season!
gig.gif

So how many of you have had a moment like that?

I had a moment like that last weekend at my nephew's birthday party when my mom asked me how many chickens we had now.

I had to use the calculator on my phone. LOL.

"Well, there's the 5 full size girls, 9 "teenagers", 28 chicks in the chick coop, 24 eggs in the incubator, 6 full grown ducks, 10 ducklings, 4 guineas, and uh, well let me get my calculator out, Mom."

Chicken math also applies to ducks. LOL

They all think I'm crazy anyhow. I think they're crazy for not wanting this life.

Blessings-
Em

my husband has learned not to ask how many we have. He just tells people we have a yard full. But the 2 I got that I didnt think he would like he loves. Those are my little silkies. He shows everyone those 2 little girls. My Grandaughters call them my chicken puppies.

"Chicken puppies"
gig.gif
My DH calls my Silkies 'poodle chickens'.
lau.gif

If chicken math applies to ducks too I'm in danger, I'm planing to get ducklings in spring!
ep.gif

Quote:
lau.gif
We have a pair of crested ducks and my son calls them "poodle ducks"....

My mother came to visit not long ago... I kept her busy so she couldn't count
ep.gif

Quote:
Yup, that sounds like a good idea to me!
lol.png

I deffinatly don't want DH counting them up, he might revoke the permission he gave me to buy a few selected hens I want.
hide.gif

lau.gif
I had a moment like that the other day when moving them to their new chicken yard. Hubby sent the kids to go bring over all the chickens and they kept coming...and coming...

Hubby gave me teh stink eye and asked " Exactly how many do you have?? I changed the subject real quick lemme tell you...

Darn that chicken math, gets ya every time.

Last edited:
We had half a dozen hens and a small handful of baby chicks (maybe 6?) when we moved here 3 months ago. This was today's view in the chicken yard.

59404_chicken_hoarder01.jpeg

And that's just the little patch of ground right outside the front door!

ETA: And only one of the original half-dozen hens is in this picture! The rest are off somewhere else doing other things, and Rico the Rooster didn't make it into this shot, either.

Last edited:
I explained chicken math to my mom. I only have six chickens, and the two new wee bantams have to be seperated from the main flock because they get picked on so bad. I let them out while mum was over, and the two big jerk hens starting laying into the little ones. Mom went quiet and said, 'there's something wrong with chicken math.' It's true. I want to get silkies as well but WHERE WOULD THEY LIVE?
sad.png

My coworkers are always asking "how many chickens do you have?" I tell them "I don't know.... about.... well... No, I have no idea." They are constantly suprised by this. But it makes perfect sense to me, why should I know how many there are!

Back
Top Bottom