Have You Used an Automatic Poultry Feeder?

Malpower

Songster
11 Years
Jan 12, 2009
Kentfield, California
Has anyone used the automatic poultry feeder with the lid that opens when a chicken stands on the platform? The feeder is waterproof and can be filled with enough feed for a week or more -- the big selling point to me is that mice, rats, birds and other lighter-weight critters can't get the feeder open, but even a small chicken weighs just enough to depress the platform and open the lid hiding their feed.

I have a tremendous problem with mice up to big rats, birds, squirrels, etc spending their time eating my chicken feed. Not only do I not like the rodents in particular, but I'm going through tons of feed. I gather over a two week period (there's a training method), the hens will learn to get on the platform to access the feed.

They're pretty darned expensive and I've just ordered one -- thought to ask about it on BYC after the fact. Would be worth the expense if it would solve my rodent problem, or at least cut it way down!

Do let me know if you've tried one......thanks!
smile.png

I've never used one, but these chickens have! I think that may be the answer to many of your free-loading critter problems!

Quote:
Thanks, Kathy! I saw that one when I was looking at the contraptions -- gee, it would be great if my girls could pick it up in just three days, but we shall see -- this is the one I have ordered!

Quote:
Thanks, Kathy! I saw that one when I was looking at the contraptions -- gee, it would be great if my girls could pick it up in just three days, but we shall see -- this is the one I have ordered!

Cool! You got the Cadillac model for sure! I'm sure your girls will figure it out in no time and you'll be saving money on feed before you know it!

Back
Top Bottom