Timed feeder

Maroonsmith157

Hatching
Jul 5, 2023
Long story short, has anyone made a timed or proportioned automatic feeder? Either a portion that's distributed twice a day, or a timed feeding session where the feeder is open twice a day.

Long story: when I do unlimited feed, the ground squirrels can really pack it away while the chickens are free ranging. I was going to get a treadle feeder, but then the neighbor's rooster found our coop...he brings his entire harem over daily. We chase them away, and they just wait for us to leave to come back again. So I've been giving my hens portioned food early in the morning to get them started and at night to fill the crop. I only give them enough that they can eat it all so it isn't left over for the neighbor's chickens. They free range the rest of the day. But I'm going out of town and want this solution automated.

Has anyone made a feeder on a timer?

Long story short, has anyone made a timed or proportioned automatic feeder? Either a portion that's distributed twice a day, or a timed feeding session where the feeder is open twice a day.

Long story: when I do unlimited feed, the ground squirrels can really pack it away while the chickens are free ranging. I was going to get a treadle feeder, but then the neighbor's rooster found our coop...he brings his entire harem over daily. We chase them away, and they just wait for us to leave to come back again. So I've been giving my hens portioned food early in the morning to get them started and at night to fill the crop. I only give them enough that they can eat it all so it isn't left over for the neighbor's chickens. They free range the rest of the day. But I'm going out of town and want this solution automated.

I would love to see a cost effective secure feeder one could set on a timer designed. As you mention, word soom gets around that food is available at so and so's place. Unfortunately the majority of the dinner guests are of the unwelcome type. At least you've got chicken coming to dinner rather than rats and wild birds.

Well, I'd deal with the visiting chickens just for the spread of disease reasons. Ground squirrels are easy to stop with a treadle feeder as long as the lid is spring loaded and you have a narrow and distant treadle step. You could do some sort of timed feeder but even then the visiting chickens would figure things out the feeding schedule as well as the chipmunks. There is also the thought of what happens when the automated feeder fails, battery dies, or power outage or a feed jam?

Do the chickens leave the chipmunks alone or do they go after them?

I just saw a post on another thread, that might be helpful:
This feeder has a digital timer that dispenses (corn or scratch) feed 4 times a day https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/moultrie-5-gal-all-in-one-hanging-deer-feeder-1293131

Anything that works with corn or scratch has at least a chance of working with pellets too.
I notice that one is marketed as a deer feeder, so you might also look into other things marketed as "deer feeders."

You can always get a cat/dog RFID feeder and modify it for your needs. Make your own. They sell Tags to put on poultry. That way only your birds get fed when they walk up to the feeder.

Back
Top Bottom