Hawk attack. Graphic pics *Updated pics 3/30/15

Not sure, but is it worth trimming the remaining feathers on the wing to reduce the weight? My partner lost three of the supporting tendons in his shoulder area (all torn off) and he said the weight of his arm made it hard to heal.

(Advice from others would be better than mine :)

Not sure, but is it worth trimming the remaining feathers on the wing to reduce the weight? My partner lost three of the supporting tendons in his shoulder area (all torn off) and he said the weight of his arm made it hard to heal.

(Advice from others would be better than mine :)
That is an interesting thing to think about. I can't imagine the feathers weigh much and I wonder if they provide a bit of protection from rubbing on things or cushioning if she leans against the wall or lays on her side a bit?

So this afternoon I went to check on her and found a bit of blood trickling down her shoulder. It looks like her wound cracked open at the joint. I am wondering if she tried to flap and it broke a scab? I also wonder if she tried to jump up onto the toilet. I am not going to be able to get her into the crate until tomorrow. (My 8 month old has pneumonia... When it rains it pours, right?) Anyway, I dusted her with more wonder dust and am hoping it stays dry. She ate all of her morning and afternoon mash and a piece of avocado and also was quite excited about an apple core that my 8 year old brought to her. She had pooped all over today and it all looked 100% normal. I really am feeling like she is nearly out of critical danger and now just the long wait for skin and feathers to regrow.

Not to worry you worse, but avocados can be fatal to chickens.....
sad.png

Are you keeping ointment on the wound or just the dust?

ETA: Sorry the baby is sick. Hopefully gets better soon. Poor you
sad.png

Last edited:
I am pretty sure it is only the pits that are toxic.

I am doing only dust so far.

FYI, my vet also told me no avocado for birds. It wasn't my chickens we were discussing, but my small parrot. Said she could eat anything but avocado and chocolate. I don't think she meant the pit when telling me that because we were specifically discussing the birds diet.

And this is just a thought, but regarding your birds wound cracking open, if that is an area that you think is going to see alot of movement, maybe you could try the other spray you have for that area near the joint. It may allow for more movement without breaking a scab?

Last edited:
After reading all these posts I am amazed, at your awesome hen, but also at your tremendous heart. I'm curious, however, as to why no one has suggested comfrey for use on the exposed shoulder wound. Comfrey is well-known for its rapid healing effect, and has been proven to help rebuild not only muscle, but bone and skin, as well. I use it pretty regularly here, for people and animals, with very good results. I highly recommend its use. Good luck with your wonderful hen. May she live a long and productive life. :)

I would use something like Blu Kote spray for her wound. And I would not feed her avocado again. I used to feed mine scraps of onions. Then found out it can cause anemia. Ooops. But I have been told repeatedly NO avocado. Not just the seed. I am so glad she is hanging in there. Your a good chicken mama
big_smile.png

Interesting about the avocado. I will definitely not give her anymore. I don't want to do anything that could hinder her healing. I will look into Comfrey. Where do you get yours? I am assuming Amazon would carry it.

For now I will start the Blu-Kote on the joint and maybe some antibiotic ointment. I would love to get some mobility back in the joint eventually.

I haven't checked on her yet, but can hear her pecking around and softly clucking away in the bathroom. She ate three meals of mash yesterday with absolutely no problem. Should I switch her to chick food or something else? All we have right now is layer pellets and that is what I am making into her wet mash. She obviously isn't laying right now, so doesn't need the calcium. Any suggestions on food would be great.

Back
Top Bottom