Hawk attack. Graphic pics *Updated pics 3/30/15

Ok, so some sick bay questions.

I have powdered probiotics, can I sprinkle it on her wound? I also have raw honey, would it help to drizzle that on as well? We are going to try to get to Tractor Supply for meds later this morning, what is best to help her? Her wing is hanging super low this morning and the open shoulder looks like the weight of the wing is pulling at it. She doesn't seem to be in any distress though. Should I try bandaging again? It was a complete disaster last night.

I tried dipping her beak in water and she will swallow but not actively drink on her own. I am going to try to give her water from a dropper. How much and how often should I give her water? What would be a good food for her? Raw egg yolk? Scrambled eggs? Yogurt?

Also, this might be strange, but I am a nursing mama. Would breast milk help either on the wound or fed in a dropper??

I would not apply food items just disinfect and a and d ointment

It sounds like she needs stitches
Can you tell if the shoulder is broken or dislocated?

Chickens will not show distress until there is no other choice as a self preservation instinct. That is why as the flock master you will need to make the call for her.

If she wont or cant eat and wont or cant take in water It might be kindest to kill her.

Again so sorry
hugs.gif

She drank a dropper full of water pretty well and was definitely looking for more. I just realized I have some leftover amoxicillin liquid from my son in the fridge. Would that be helpful?

I am not quite ready to put her down yet. The wound is too big to stitch and I would worry more about infection with it closed up. She definitely will drink and I haven't offered food yet this morning, but am going to try some scrambled egg for now. She is pretty feisty and tried to wiggle out of the towel I had around her when I have her water. I am going to give her the morning and reassess.

She is eating the scrambled egg!!!!! I know she is still hanging on by a thread, but she had water and is now eating on her own. I want to cry with joy right now.

Ok, so some sick bay questions.

I have powdered probiotics, can I sprinkle it on her wound? I also have raw honey, would it help to drizzle that on as well? We are going to try to get to Tractor Supply for meds later this morning, what is best to help her? Her wing is hanging super low this morning and the open shoulder looks like the weight of the wing is pulling at it. She doesn't seem to be in any distress though. Should I try bandaging again? It was a complete disaster last night.

I tried dipping her beak in water and she will swallow but not actively drink on her own. I am going to try to give her water from a dropper. How much and how often should I give her water? What would be a good food for her? Raw egg yolk? Scrambled eggs? Yogurt?

Also, this might be strange, but I am a nursing mama. Would breast milk help either on the wound or fed in a
dropper??

Look for a product called WonderDust in horse section at Tractor supply. Put that on her wounds. It dries them up and scabs them up quick. You usually do not have to mess with them daily after applying that stuff. Maybe one application for a couple of days and that usually does it. Some PenG shots wouldn't hurt either to help prevent infection. One tenth of a ml per ten pounds is the usually dose on that. Use either 18 or 20 size needle with a 1 ml syringe.
As far as broken wing, may need vet help on that. You have to be careful wrapping around hens body because if the bandaging is too tight, hen can't breath. Air sacs are located under skin on bird and help her breath. You can make it difficult to do that with tight bandage. It may just be a ruptured air sack you hear and not her lungs. Hopefully. But I don't know how important one air sack is to a bird, I'm not a vet.
She need to be kept in quiet semi dark area in order to calm and heal. She may not eat for a few days, but try to keep her hydrated. Some chopped boiled egg she may be encouraged to eat or to help her with hydration, you can try some fruit with high water content, like cantalope, grapes maybe? Otherwise you may need to use crop tube on her to get liquids in her system. Instructions for crop tube feeding are on this site. Pick up some aquarium tubing for that while in town and a syringe. Not too large on diameter for crop tube.

[IDue to the high metabolic rate required for flight, birds have a high oxygen demand. It is said that the development of an efficient respiratory system has enabled the evolution of flight in birds.

Birds ventilate their lungs by means of air sacs, which is a structure unique to birds. Basically, there are four pairs of air sacs in chickens that reach from the neck to the abdomen and open into the pneumatic bones. The air sacs are made of a delicate, thin wall and collapse when the chest is opened, so they may be difficult to see. These sacs do not play a direct role in gaseous exchange, but to store air and act like bellows, allowing the lungs to maintain a fixed volume with fresh air constantly flowing through them.
][/I]
http://www.worldpoultry.net/Breeders/General/2009/11/Rising-pressure-from-air-sacculitis-WP006961W/

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the hawk attack. I think anything you would use on yourself will work. I tend to the natural stuff such as the honey. I also use colloidal silver which is composed of distilled water and ions of pure silver in it. You can find it in most health food stores and can be in a bottle or spray bottle. It is effective against all bacteria, virus, even MRSA. It has been around for hundreds of years and even NASA uses silver for antibacterial uses. Just another thought. Hope she pulls through. An open lung wound is difficult to deal with. I wish you and her good luck.

Back
Top Bottom