Hawk Attack - RIP Khaleesi (Questions!)

RRLaney

Songster
May 1, 2016
Bastrop, TX
R.I.P. my beautiful 4 month old Polish pullet Khaleesi :hit
khaleesi.JPG

My boyfriend got Khaleesi for me as a birthday present and I have never been so in love with a chicken! I am heartbroken.
We left for a quick 4 day trip to CA last weekend and while we were gone a hawk flew into the yard and killed Khaleesi. The hawk didn't even eat her, just killed her!
We had a friend who was staying at our house the entire time to pet sit the dog and chickens, so there was only slightly less activity around the house/yard. We have NEVER had a predator problem before and we have had chickens here for well over a year and a half. Is it just coincidence that the hawk waited until we were gone to attack..?

Our poor friend spent most of his time here guarding the rest of the flock. Luckily the hawk hasn't been back yet, but I am worried because I know it saw all the other chickens. I have 2 other babies in the yard right now (approx. 4 month old tiny white frizzles) that are even smaller than Khaleesi was.

Our friend said he saw the hawk sitting on our fence the day of the attack, but he kept trying to scare it, and none of us have seen it since.

We put up that bird scare tape and foil all over the yard and fence line because I've heard the hawks don't like it, but I'm not sure if that is enough. We have tons of trees and bushes, and the coop is raised so the hens can hang out underneath it. I'm trying to let my German Shepherd out into the yard twice as often so the hawk can see him, but my dog has almost no prey drive so I'm not sure he would even notice a hawk on/near the fence. I am just tired of living in fear of the hawk coming back for the rest of my hens. I am running outside every time I hear a noise right now.

Is there anything else I can do to increase my chickens' safety?

So Sorry for your loss. I’m in south Alabama and we have so many hawks, especially in spring, that my poor girls have to stay in the run except for the 1 1/2 hours before dark. I hawk-sit with them EVERY day unless it’s storming! The only true protection is a predator proof run. I have read that people use open top areas where their chickens can free range. They put up fishing line criss-crossing the top because the Hawks can see it and will not fly into it because of entanglement.

So Sorry for your loss. I’m in south Alabama and we have so many hawks, especially in spring, that my poor girls have to stay in the run except for the 1 1/2 hours before dark. I hawk-sit with them EVERY day unless it’s storming! The only true protection is a predator proof run. I have read that people use open top areas where their chickens can free range. They put up fishing line criss-crossing the top because the Hawks can see it and will not fly into it because of entanglement.

Thanks, I might try that. We have always free-ranged our chickens, I think they'd be pretty grumpy if I started putting them in a run. They really do have lots of places to hide so I've never worried that much, but now that the hawk knows they're there I worry we'll have more attacks.

Off to buy some fishing line!

I'm very sorry for your loss. :hugs

Yes, it's just a coincidence that you had a predator attack while you were gone. It could easily happen while you are there, too. Some have even had a hawk strike while they are standing right there.

There are always going to be hawks, and you can't stop them from flying anywhere in the sky that they want to. What you can do is either realize that when you free-range you take a risk of losing birds, or keep them in a secure run. My own personal choice is to keep them in the run. The National Forest is right across the street from me, so I see many different kinds of hawks pretty much every single day. Not to mention foxes, coyotes, dogs etc. That's what works for me but everyone has their own unique situation to work with.

R.I.P. my beautiful 4 month old Polish pullet Khaleesi :hit
View attachment 1157854

My boyfriend got Khaleesi for me as a birthday present and I have never been so in love with a chicken! I am heartbroken.
We left for a quick 4 day trip to CA last weekend and while we were gone a hawk flew into the yard and killed Khaleesi. The hawk didn't even eat her, just killed her!
We had a friend who was staying at our house the entire time to pet sit the dog and chickens, so there was only slightly less activity around the house/yard. We have NEVER had a predator problem before and we have had chickens here for well over a year and a half. Is it just coincidence that the hawk waited until we were gone to attack..?

Our poor friend spent most of his time here guarding the rest of the flock. Luckily the hawk hasn't been back yet, but I am worried because I know it saw all the other chickens. I have 2 other babies in the yard right now (approx. 4 month old tiny white frizzles) that are even smaller than Khaleesi was.

Our friend said he saw the hawk sitting on our fence the day of the attack, but he kept trying to scare it, and none of us have seen it since.

We put up that bird scare tape and foil all over the yard and fence line because I've heard the hawks don't like it, but I'm not sure if that is enough. We have tons of trees and bushes, and the coop is raised so the hens can hang out underneath it. I'm trying to let my German Shepherd out into the yard twice as often so the hawk can see him, but my dog has almost no prey drive so I'm not sure he would even notice a hawk on/near the fence. I am just tired of living in fear of the hawk coming back for the rest of my hens. I am running outside every time I hear a noise right now.

Is there anything else I can do to increase my chickens' safety?

They are pretty smart. I would not be surprised if they know when you leave. They sit in the trees and are impossible to spot unless you see them fly in or out. The chickens generally know but even then I have never spotted one just sitting. I know they have watched me leave before an attack. And if I am in the yard I notice they fly around in a wide berth. I have watched them fly in almost a full circle a hundred or so yards out with me in the center.
If your friend was on guard after the fact, it would not return to finish the meal although they typically would otherwise. If you choose, you can use that to your advantage. It is good it did not get to eat it's meal. That would encourage more attacks. In my experience the attacking hawk is a Cooper hawk although I have heard some say others also. There is not a lot of defense from them unless you are willing to break the law because they are protected. A polish is a smaller breed and that is another factor although I interrupted one tangled with my rooster who is pretty good sized. (The hawk was winning until I showed up). If it is sitting on a fence, I myself would probably do something about it. But I live out in the sticks. I don't know your situation. It is hard. Hawks are a fact of life. I have found that they like to use a barrier to trap your bird against. A wall. A fence. I watched on my security camera once, as a Cooper hawk chased my birds back and forth across the yard until it isolated it's victim against a wall. And it killed that chicken. (It also returned to the scene one time too often). People say if you get rid of one, another will quickly fill it's spot. I have not found that to be the case. It takes awhile. But perhaps the next one will not be so skilled at hunting chicken. Sorry about your pet. It is a wild world out there. (that tape or hanging CDs is useless IMO).

They are pretty smart. I would not be surprised if they know when you leave. They sit in the trees and are impossible to spot unless you see them fly in or out. The chickens generally know but even then I have never spotted one just sitting. I know they have watched me leave before an attack. And if I am in the yard I notice they fly around in a wide berth. I have watched them fly in almost a full circle a hundred or so yards out with me in the center.
If your friend was on guard after the fact, it would not return to finish the meal although they typically would otherwise. If you choose, you can use that to your advantage. It is good it did not get to eat it's meal. That would encourage more attacks. In my experience the attacking hawk is a Cooper hawk although I have heard some say others also. There is not a lot of defense from them unless you are willing to break the law because they are protected. A polish is a smaller breed and that is another factor although I interrupted one tangled with my rooster who is pretty good sized. (The hawk was winning until I showed up). If it is sitting on a fence, I myself would probably do something about it. But I live out in the sticks. I don't know your situation. It is hard. Hawks are a fact of life. I have found that they like to use a barrier to trap your bird against. A wall. A fence. I watched on my security camera once, as a Cooper hawk chased my birds back and forth across the yard until it isolated it's victim against a wall. And it killed that chicken. (It also returned to the scene one time too often). People say if you get rid of one, another will quickly fill it's spot. I have not found that to be the case. It takes awhile. But perhaps the next one will not be so skilled at hunting chicken. Sorry about your pet. It is a wild world out there. (that tape or hanging CDs is useless IMO).

I've learned a few things about the hawk. It is a Cooper hawk, and not very big. He comes and sits on my fence at 9am sharp every morning now. He lives in the tree line across the creek behind my yard (maybe 100 yards away). He has only tried to attack once since the kill (that I know of). It swooped into the yard 3 feet from me, my boyfriend, and my German Shepherd. It had no fear. Luckily it didn't get anyone.

I tried the bird scare tape and it didn't seem to bother the hawk one bit.

I have also put up a fishing line "net" over the edges of the entire yard where we don't have tree cover. That seems to have slowed him down, but I'm not under the impression that he can't get to them now. When I see him sitting on the fence in the morning now he just looks at the chickens and will nonchalantly fly away when I go near him.

The chickens seem more aware of the hawk now and my buff orpington will alert like crazy when she sees it so I know to go out and check on them!

Thanks for your thoughts and advice! It's frustrating being on hawk watch all the time (especially since we went well over a year with zero predator problems), but I think we're making progress and doing all we can since shooting the hawk really isn't an option.

I've learned a few things about the hawk. It is a Cooper hawk, and not very big. He comes and sits on my fence at 9am sharp every morning now. He lives in the tree line across the creek behind my yard (maybe 100 yards away). He has only tried to attack once since the kill (that I know of). It swooped into the yard 3 feet from me, my boyfriend, and my German Shepherd. It had no fear. Luckily it didn't get anyone.

I tried the bird scare tape and it didn't seem to bother the hawk one bit.

I have also put up a fishing line "net" over the edges of the entire yard where we don't have tree cover. That seems to have slowed him down, but I'm not under the impression that he can't get to them now. When I see him sitting on the fence in the morning now he just looks at the chickens and will nonchalantly fly away when I go near him.

The chickens seem more aware of the hawk now and my buff orpington will alert like crazy when she sees it so I know to go out and check on them!

Thanks for your thoughts and advice! It's frustrating being on hawk watch all the time (especially since we went well over a year with zero predator problems), but I think we're making progress and doing all we can since shooting the hawk really isn't an option.

Sounds like you can approach close enough already. Let him think you are harmless. But really, you are not harmless if you choose. Frustration is bad. Satisfaction in these matters is really underappreciated. LOL

They are protected.... but I have found them to be as numerous as Crows. (Crows are great birds).

They say another one will take it's place.... maybe one that doesn't kill your chickens. The young ones (which this likely is) are more hungry and reckless. As the season progresses to winter, they will be even hungrier. Good luck whatever you do. To me that bird is no different than a rat or a cat that is preying on your flock. And you are a part of nature same as any other... Good luck.

So sorry that you lost your little one...She was precious!

I have had many encounters with hawks, here in So. Cal. Just this, Thursday a friend and I were sitting out near the chickens coops. My rooster "Mr. Frito", a Rhode Island Red, 8.5 lbs, was out with us, the hens were in their enclosure. Well, as we are talking - I hear the screech of a hawk. We look up, and there it is hovering over my Frito! My friend and I stood up and waved our hands at it. It was so close, I could see it look at us and then at Frito. It decided to fly away, hawks have tried to go after my roosters before. Once when the roosters were 1 yr. old, they were in the back yard, a hawk landed and started to hop after them, while I was present! I threw a rock at it and chased it away. It continued to land on the fence for several weeks.

Birds of prey are protected here in California, but even if they weren't I wouldn't kill it. They are usually juveniles when they don't fear people. Hens usually run for cover when they see or hear a hawk. But, breeds with impaired vision due to feathering, are easy meals/kills. I free range my girls almost every day, but I sit outside while they forage. The reality is that everything wants to eat chickens. So, if you want to free range them, you'll have accept losses or chicken sit! Never depend on a dog, predators are stealthy and fast. I found that out this August, after a Bob Cat jumped into my backyard over a 6 ft. fence and took my beloved hen, Inky. There are all kinds of predators to from wildlife to domestic pets!

The only other creature a hawk fears is an eagle, we have those hunting our chickens too!

My heart goes out to you, God Bless!

Back
Top Bottom