Hawk finally figured us out

Owllea

Chirping
May 23, 2021
NE Kansas
I’ve seen some others post about their chickens as a way to process a loss. So today I share our story: we lost a little white Easter egger to a red tailed hawk this weekend.
Her name was Kiwi. She was a peculiar little bird with a green-blue egg. White feathers with a splash of red and some little cheek puffs. She knew just how to get out of the protected area and taught her clutch mates how as well. They loved to scratch around the yard and poop everywhere. Sometimes she would just stay in the coop and let us pet her. And she was the easiest bird to pick up when friends and their kids would come to see the chickens. A party favorite for all.
We got snow at the end of this week. She seemed to blend right in as it was melting, but she was the only white bird. She made it through summer and fall without being picked out by a predator, so not really thinking her best camouflage would be her weakness. Our electric perimeter fence has worked to keep land predators out of the chicken yard, and they have a covered run also. But Kiwi was spotted from above at the edge of the woods. The attack occurred in the middle of the chicken yard. The hawk now knows everyone is there. The trees usually protect everyone but with no leaf coverage yet and red tail presence really high, I guess it was inevitable. We have had chickens out there for two or three seasons with no hawk attacks. So our strategy must change.
Anyway, it is just a little therapeutic to write it all out. We will miss our Kiwi bird. For those who have lost a bird to a hawk, you have a new grieving heart to share in this experience. Thanks for reading and peace to you all.

Losing chickens is always difficult.
We maintain over 200+ chickens and are about to add another 100 or so.
We've had hawk issues off and on for several years and have tried many ways to keep them out.
We have, with success, been attracting crows to our land and the hawks tend to keep their distance. Crows defend their territory and they will chase hawks away every time. I attract them with food, bedding, I leave them be and let them claim it as theirs. They have a huge dislike for predators of all types and even squawk at the UPS guy.
There are a number of web sites about how to attract them and I started putting out fruit and roasted peanuts and they showed up with a few days.

I have an open run with all my Chickens in it, And I've had only one Hawk attack but it was quickly detered, My secret is a Owl decoy, As Hawks main predators are Great Horned Owls and they fear them, Also my Roosters help with alerting the Hens when they see something fly over

Losing chickens is always difficult.
We maintain over 200+ chickens and are about to add another 100 or so.
We've had hawk issues off and on for several years and have tried many ways to keep them out.
We have, with success, been attracting crows to our land and the hawks tend to keep their distance. Crows defend their territory and they will chase hawks away every time. I attract them with food, bedding, I leave them be and let them claim it as theirs. They have a huge dislike for predators of all types and even squawk at the UPS guy.
There are a number of web sites about how to attract them and I started putting out fruit and roasted peanuts and they showed up with a few days.
We have a lot of ravens. Are they like crows? Do either go at chickens?

I’ve seen some others post about their chickens as a way to process a loss. So today I share our story: we lost a little white Easter egger to a red tailed hawk this weekend.
Her name was Kiwi. She was a peculiar little bird with a green-blue egg. White feathers with a splash of red and some little cheek puffs. She knew just how to get out of the protected area and taught her clutch mates how as well. They loved to scratch around the yard and poop everywhere. Sometimes she would just stay in the coop and let us pet her. And she was the easiest bird to pick up when friends and their kids would come to see the chickens. A party favorite for all.
We got snow at the end of this week. She seemed to blend right in as it was melting, but she was the only white bird. She made it through summer and fall without being picked out by a predator, so not really thinking her best camouflage would be her weakness. Our electric perimeter fence has worked to keep land predators out of the chicken yard, and they have a covered run also. But Kiwi was spotted from above at the edge of the woods. The attack occurred in the middle of the chicken yard. The hawk now knows everyone is there. The trees usually protect everyone but with no leaf coverage yet and red tail presence really high, I guess it was inevitable. We have had chickens out there for two or three seasons with no hawk attacks. So our strategy must change.
Anyway, it is just a little therapeutic to write it all out. We will miss our Kiwi bird. For those who have lost a bird to a hawk, you have a new grieving heart to share in this experience. Thanks for reading and peace to you all.
So sorry. We lost two to hawks, both very beloved. Our Dandy and Panda.

Back
Top Bottom