Hawk netting?

Ok how about this...use whatever makes you happy.
big_smile.png
Once again I will say, I was just trying to be helpful.

I have to many hawks around and a wide open chicken yard with no trees to hide under. That's why I use the "expensive" stuff. However, I did get my giant net for $130 on ebay when they were going for $300-$400 on online stores.

If the stuff y'all get from Lowes works then wonderful. I'm not arguing.

Quote:
No problems with raccoons at all. It's very powerful netting, my DH and I tested it by pulling it as hard as we could and it won't break. It was way worth the $130.

I bought the cheap bird netting to put over mine. I was mainly concerned about owls and raccoons, as mine free range during the day and use the pen at night. I have not lost any while in the pen at night. I have, however lost several to raccoons during the day. i have a major raccoon problem, having trapped 7 this year so far. The bird netting has worked great, and I made sure that there are no tree limbs or anything else over the pen. They would have to climb up the wire to get there, and never have gotten thru it.

I've seen two different kinds locally (and bought both of them).

The one from Lowe's/Home Depot was bird netting to keep little birds from crops, I think. It was next to the sunshade stuff at our store. It runs about $5-6 for a 14 x 14 foot square. And it IS thin.

I bought some at Wal-Mart too. It was in the garden center, and was supposed to keep animals from plants. Maybe it didn't say bird, I'm not even sure. It looks like hardware cloth with 1/2" openings. It's silver, the openings are square. It runs $10 for a 3' x 50' roll. That stuff is strong ... I can't tear it. It would probably cut your hands first. Problem for me is that the 3' width had to cross back and forth many times, and then fasten the whole thing to prevent gaps. It's almost good enough to use for fencing if you didn't have to worry about predators ... as good as chicken wire I think. Don't know how long it lasts in the weather though.

Just sharing what I've found and where. Best of luck to you.

trish

Maybe I'm thinking of different "bird netting" then y'all get. I'm glad y'all found the netting cheap and it works so good.

I left the house on Thur afternoon, and looked over to the chickens and saw a darn chicken walking on top of my netting!! Funny as heck! I should close a couple of the gaps in mine, but haven't had any problems so far, knock on wood!! I bought the orange/green netting at Menards, almost looks like snow fencing but it much lighter weight. It was like $17 for a 4x50' roll.

Back
Top Bottom