Hawk Scare

mrcush

Songster
7 Years
Nov 18, 2012
Southeast Michigan
I have always let my chickens free range but almost 2 weeks ago we had a hawk scare. The day it happened 2 had ran to the coop, one was in a brush pile and the other one we couldn't find but we did find a big pile of feathers. We had thought for sure she was gone and we kept the other 3 lock in the coop/run the next day. Sure enough about 24 hours later the missing one showed up wanting in the run. After that we decided to keep them lock in for about a week. Last Friday I decided I couldn't keep them locked in any longer and opened up the door to the run to let them out. My question is, they not only won't come out of the run but they won't even come out of the coop. Do you think they are traumatized? I should mention they are also molting and it has been getting cold here in Michigan. Do you think maybe they are just cold? This behavior definitely didn't start until the hawk scare. I don't want to force them out but I'm wondering if they are just scared or could there be something else wrong? Thanks

It may be the molt, it may be residual fear from the attack, or even more likely the hawk may still be in the area and making periodic visits. Don't force them out, and don't allow them to free range unsupervised.

That definitely won't be a problem considering they won't come out of the coop. The only time they will come out into the run is if I throw some popcorn or scratch in there. Thanks

It may be the molt, it may be residual fear from the attack, or even more likely the hawk may still be in the area and making periodic visits. Don't force them out, and don't allow them to free range unsupervised.
Yep. The hawks are migrating right now. And I can tell you from experience that they can take a full sized adult hen.

Well I definitely trust their instincts and my conclusion was they are just scared but they have never acted this way before and we have had scares in the past with hawks but never where one was missing. That's why I thought maybe there is something else to this. Thanks

There just scared, rightfully so. I'd keep throwing scratch out there and eventually they'll get it that the hawk can't get them in the run.

I agree with trusting their instincts. It is also my experience that birds have a way to "shake off" negative emotions and move on, so if they still seem frightened it must be for some reason. We have had two "death by hawk" losses and ended up running hundreds of feet of fishing line overhead. The days of unsupervised free range are gone too. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom