Hawk troubles

Well, that's definitely a hawk alright! (calling upon my vast expertise)
big_smile.png

I agree with everybody it's hard to ID with just a couple pictures. Those are really great pictures, by the way. Love 'em or hate 'em, you have to admit birds of prey are cool.

Question: How does it fly? Does it soar in, or fly swift with steady, pointed wings, or zigzag through the trees?

Looks like a youngster, whatever it is. That would also explain him dive-bombing and casing--an experienced adult would have nailed one of your birds on the first try. I don't think it's a merlin--doesn't look like a falcon. The shape sure looks like something of the accipiter clan, but immature coopers, sharp-shinned, and goshhawks all have yellow eyes. I'm guessing you have an immature red-tail.

There's some great BOP identification info here: http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/Infocenter/infocenter.html#Accipitridae

None
of which helps you in any way.
sad.png
Good luck keeping your birds safe. Some falconer needs to come up with a breed of "guard birds" that can be trained to chase away other hawks. The Great Pyrenees Eagle, the Doberman Falcon, something like that.

Tom

Can you confine your chickens to a covered run temporarily? If there is no way to get at your chickens, it will be encouraged to move on to look for a better hunting ground. You'd still have to keep an eye out for others or this one coming back later, but it's still better than having this one sitting in your yard every day.

I have hawks that fly around here too. Once one did attack one of my bigger hens, luckily she squawked and my son ran out there and the hawk flew away. The chickens sort of learn to hide when they are flying above, chickens have very good eyesight. Now that yours have been attacked once, they will be very aware of the predator. I still let mine free range most of the time, but I also have a lot of things for them to hide under, such as tree, cars, utility trailer, barn, coop. Sometimes my DH goes outside and makes hawk calls and the girls will run and hide!!

She is a female Northern Harrier. Awesome pictures! Scary though, hopefully she doesn't get your chooks.

Most male Northern Harriers are mated to one or two females at the same time. Some males pair with up to five mates in a season. Females incubate the eggs and brood the offspring, while the male provides the bulk of the food for his mates and their nestlings.

Unlike other hawks, the Northern Harrier relies on its hearing as well as its vision to capture prey. The feathers of the face are stiff to help transmit sound, and it shows a pronounced "facial disk," much like that of an owl.

The Northern Harrier feeds primarily on mice, other small mammals, and small birds. It will, however, take larger prey, such as rabbits and ducks. It has been known to subdue large prey by drowning it.

Quote:
Thats the same hawk that was after one of my banty hens...a couple of months ago my bantys were out back walking around doing nothing an out of no where the hawk came and jump down on one of my banty hens back and right before he could lift her up my big banty rooster hammer head jump on the hawks back and was scratching the hawk with his spurs.. and the hawk let go an flew up in the trees it was like a kinda small hawk but we haven't seen it since then
smile.png

Heres hammer head watching his hens
smile.png
..and thats his son on the far right
2008_0216chickens0009.jpg

Last edited:
In summary, it sounds like this bird could be after your chickens. It's not an evil animal - just doing what nature tells it to do.

You should protect your chickens with overhead netting or keep them confined to a run. It's a hawk's job to eat animals BUT it's your job to protect your chickens from predators.

Once my mom saw a Cooper's Hawk with something in its talons. She realized it was a squirrel. I cheered, she freaked. I reminded her that grey squirrels are not native to our area whereas the hawks are. The hawks help keep the population in check.

I think I was a hawk or a falconer in a former life, I love raptors so much!
wink.png

I'm glad to hear that someone actually loves those birds. While I do realise that they are only doing what nature has programed them to do, I hate those things so much right now. :mad::mad::mad:

We lost two of our hens this week to those birds. I've had to lock them up each day since. My poor birds only get to free range in the evenings now when someone is able to be out there to babysit them. There are two of those things flying around and sitting up on things way up high watching and waiting for their next kill. It's my job to protect my flock and these things think of my barnyard as a fast food resturant. I really do hate these birds.
It's hard to have warm fuzzies for a creature that picked every bit of flesh and organ meat out of my sons favorite chicken and to see him so tearful when he found her.

Question, is it illegal to shoot them if they are killing off my birds? I'll tell ya one thing, if it's not illegal, i'll be out there with my husbands 22.

Back
Top Bottom