Hawk troubles

DianaC

Chirping
14 Years
Jun 26, 2008
One day a hawk, I think it was a redtailed hawk, dive bombed my Rhode Island reds. I chased it away and all 9 chickens are safe, but now I'm worried because I let them run out in the yard and I don't dare leave them alone. Ever since, the hawk seems to be casing the joint and there are frequent flyovers. Should I be worried?

Here are a couple of pictures of the evil bird:

hawk1.jpg

hawk2.jpg

Yes, you should be worried. If your birds are full grown you don't have to worry as much.

Hawks are not evil.

I'm not sure that it is a red-tailed hawk. Not that it matters. I would need to see photos of it in flight and hear its call. Your pictures are great but the angles and color changes from the lighting make it hard for me to ID.

Not a red tail. Beautiful pics, though!

Uhhhhhhh, maybe a Cooper's? Hmph, it's been too long since I seriously tried to ID hawks. But redtails usually have a mostly white breast, with a necklace/bar across the chest. --- edited to say no, I'm an idiot, that's not a Cooper's either. Hmmmmmm....

This is a red tail. Let's see if this works -- sorry if the pic comes out too big!

2004_5903Sky_RedTailHawkSkyBkGrd.jpg

Last edited:
How does Red-shouldered hawk sound? I've done a bit of researching on the net and the pictures seem to match pretty well. I'm in California near Oakland.

Quote:
You should be very worried. One of these with a red tail , ate one of my African Gray parrots, right in front of my face!!!

The are VERY DANGEROUS predators.

Back
Top Bottom