Hawk!

slatts

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 13, 2013
I let my dozen almost 8 week old girls out for an hour before dusk most evenings. So I am sitting within 50 feet of them reading as they were ranging in the field under some trees. All of a sudden they started flying around and and i saw a hawk was flying away with my golden comet, Star. I actually gave chase but they were gone without a trace in seconds in the brush. ****. That's was so fast. Never even saw the hawk coming in. Star was our favorite too!

dy7abaqy.jpg

Earlier this week.

I keep lots of free-range birds but hen only and young birds are at very high risk. In your shoes the quickest adjustment still allowing free-ranging them is the use of poultry netting. Hawk will not be stopped from entering but it will not be able to fly off as easily with catch making so you can make hawk's day less than ideal but interrupting its eating if not killing routine.

Oh gosh that's awful! And I certainly know the sick, grief-filled feeling. I had a similar experience, and before that, I had suffered many other predator attacks, but never before from the sky.

You have my deepest understanding and condolences.

I have been involved in breeding chickens for more than 50 years. In that time it seems like the hawks and owls read the chickens' wing band numbers, or looked at the chickens' toe marks before they killed one, so that the raptor could be sure that he was killing one of your best, and not one of your second best.

Raptors are the most unremorseful poultry predators on Earth. They bring Arnold Schwarzenegger's famous line from
The Terminator to mind, "i'll be back" and you can bet that they will be back, again and again and again.

I am sorry for your loss.

I posted my solution to keeping hawks away from my girls.

I have two solutions to Raccoon's and hawks: Nite Guard lights and poultry netting.

Even before I put up the netting I got those little solar powered lights and hung them everywhere. That was 13 years ago. I've never had another raccoon attack since. I've seen them walk all over my yard, but never go over to the chicken yard.

My second solution after I lost three chickens in two days from hawks was to cover the entire yard with poultry netting. took me a full two 8 hour days to trim the tops of trees and bring the netting over the top. The chickens are protected full time top and sides. There are two coops inside the yard. One larger- 6x 6 x 10 and a smaller coop. Mostly they sleep in the trees, which is find. They are always protected from prediors

Never had another raccoon or hawk attack since.

Back
Top Bottom