My duck got incredibly lucky. He could’ve died!!

Quarterhorses1

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jan 18, 2022
I went outside to the horse pasture to Give hay, and went back up to the coop to get eggs. What I saw shocked me. I was 100 feted from my coop and I hear squeaking and flapping. The chickens were screaming. I quickly scanned the area and I saw a HUGE hawk holding my drake by the neck. The hawk had both feet on his neck about 3 feet off of the ground, struggling to lift him due to the fight he was putting up. It was horrific. My heart sank as I screamed and ran over to the scene, which awoke my turkey Tom from his nap about 50 feet away. He ran over and screamed and beat the hawk with his feet and wings and chased the hawk off empty handed. My flock dogs came out after, because they were indoors getting water. This was super super scary but Donald the drake walked away with only a few missing feathers!

I went outside to the horse pasture to Give hay, and went back up to the coop to get eggs. What I saw shocked me. I was 100 feted from my coop and I hear squeaking and flapping. The chickens were screaming. I quickly scanned the area and I saw a HUGE hawk holding my drake by the neck. The hawk had both feet on his neck about 3 feet off of the ground, struggling to lift him due to the fight he was putting up. It was horrific. My heart sank as I screamed and ran over to the scene, which awoke my turkey Tom from his nap about 50 feet away. He ran over and screamed and beat the hawk with his feet and wings and chased the hawk off empty handed. My flock dogs came out after, because they were indoors getting water. This was super super scary but Donald the drake walked away with only a few missing feathers!
Poor guy, I hope he's okay
I agree, he may be hiding his injuries. Even if he seems okay, I'd probably treat him for shock. (At the very least keep a close eye on him, maybe give him some sugar water)

Watch him closely he may be more injured than he is presently showing.
I agree keep an eye out for internal damage. Sorry about the laugh response at firstI have a new phone and I’m all thumbs.
Poor guy, I hope he's okay
I agree, he may be hiding his injuries. Even if he seems okay, I'd probably treat him for shock. (At the very least keep a close eye on him, maybe give him some sugar water)
Thank you all for your concern! I gave him a quiet place to stay with water and food and he seems perfectly fine! The hawk only has him got about 30 seconds, and I’ve checked him and monitored him closely. He’s doing great!

Back
Top Bottom