Hawks and how to stop them!

I thought I had read that having crows around kept the hawks (or was it owls?) away....

On the road I saw the form of a hawk sitting in the road, flanked by 3 crows. When I drove up, the hawk was motionless and the crows flew off. I was torn, I turned the car around assuming the hawk was hit and injured and I would have to gather it up and get it to a rehab center.

Not so, It had a tiny morsel of a bird pinned to the road. I was within spitting distance and it didn't budge. I was torn, get it to release its morsel? But hawks need to eat too and this was nature, not my chicken(not part of their food chain).

The crows returned, and the morsel was dropped for a moment, it didn't fly far enough and the hawk grabbed it again and flew for the trees, in the same direction as the crows.

Wow.

I have been reading this post and I had one of my hens attacked by a hawk. I would love to shoot it, but if rather go the more legal route hah. I'm going to try the CD idea! But one thing I'm just making kinda curious about? Should I also get a rooster? Would that add more protection for my girls? Any help is much appreciated! :)

u could get a rooster that will add a hit list for the hawk,i have turkeys,two toms and 6 hens,they gobble everytime they see a hawk or anything,havent lose one yet,i guess it works all that gobbling.and for a note you cannot shoot hawks even when your chickens are being wipe out by them,try putting a scarcrow up in your yard

Back
Top Bottom