Hawks and how to stop them!

I have only lost young ones to coopers hawks. They will take a 3 or 4 month old youngster. I have never had them take on a larger hen but some others may have had this happen. Coopers hawks are sometimes quite bold if they don't learn otherwise. And they will return to a kill if they are scared off.

I have not lost one since I have been turning on talk radio when I leave the house. May just be coincidence.

Talk radio keeps the predators away, but I find it makes my chickens angry, frustrated and paranoid. I go in to get their eggs and they all want to squawk about illegals and Benghazi.

Last edited:
My chickens were bought as chicks so they had to learn about predators first hand. I lost several to hawks but I noticed when they were free ranging they would run across open ground to get under cover. They had to have learned that from experience. I pen them up every night, but occasionally because of weather, etc.. To keep hawks from swooping down on them, while they are penned up, I stretched fishing line across the top of the fence every few inches. This has worked great for me. It seems like, when I bring in new chicks, the old rooster teaches them to be watchful as well as the hens. I lose a young one every once in a while but I think that re-enforces the flock to be more observant. My worst predator is coyotes. I lost my whole flock several years ago; I'm still sad about that.

Neighbor free ranges his chickens during the day, leaves coop open for hawk and fox to come and go. Not the first time this has happened. Probably wont be the last! I keep mine pend up but let them out for a couple hours every evening. But only when I'm outside, or the dog is outside. Haven't lost one yet!

the only problem I have is Hawks flying around,they won't attack be cause I have turkeys,toms and hens,haven't loss any more hens but some hens like to roost in the trees two was taken by a great horn owl so all my chickens are locked up at night

Back
Top Bottom