He was supposed to be Buff Orpington!

noelebowman

In the Brooder
May 16, 2023
Hello,
I need assistance identifying what breed this rooster is. I bought 4 straight run Buff Orpingtons from a farm and this one just didn't look like the others from about a week on. He was a lighter yellow and as he grew became whiter. He gradually developed brown edges (lacing) on his wings then his tail. He has some hackle feathers that brown with stripes. I think he is very pretty, but I don't think he is a BO. Can anyone help me identify what he is?
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_9293.jpg
    IMG_9293.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9294.jpg
    IMG_9294.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9295.jpg
    IMG_9295.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9299.jpg
    IMG_9299.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9295 close.jpg
    IMG_9295 close.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 10
I am assuming that means he appears to be a mix of 2 breeds not an Orpington. I will be rehoming him and wanted to give new people idea of what he is. I'll just have to say he is a handsome rooster I guess!

I am assuming that means he appears to be a mix of 2 breeds not an Orpington. I will be rehoming him and wanted to give new people idea of what he is. I'll just have to say he is a handsome rooster I guess!
He will be a mix of a Rhode Island Red and another prolific egg layer that is white. Like a leghorn, white rock or a Rhode Island White.

The result is chicks that will hatch either red or white - red being the females and white being the males. Which is why when you buy from the sex linked bin, you know what you are getting. However, when one of those little white makes ends up in another bin - you get this!

Ok. I guess the farmer who hatched them had a mixup in the incubator! I thought buying from someone who raises and sells Buff Orpingtons would save me from this! On day 1 when I picked them up at the farm, all 4 buffs looked identical. Funny thing is the only breed that I got all pullets was the Barred Rocks I got from bin! My Australorps at least 50% were cockrels and it looks like 75% of my Buff Orpingtons are cockrels!

Ok. I guess the farmer who hatched them had a mixup in the incubator! I thought buying from someone who raises and sells Buff Orpingtons would save me from this! On day 1 when I picked them up at the farm, all 4 buffs looked identical. Funny thing is the only breed that I got all pullets was the Barred Rocks I got from bin! My Australorps at least 50% were cockrels and it looks like 75% of my Buff Orpingtons are cockrels
Were they sold as straight run or sexed?

The Orpingtons and Austrolorps were straight run. Barred rocks were labeled as pullets and I selected the ones with dark legs and defined spot on head and they did all end up being pullets. I heard that when buying chicks from the bins I would be more likely to have some of them die and that I would still have a high probability of ending up with roosters. I was just commenting on the fact that I was trying to avoid "bin chicks" but they turned out to be my most successful choice!

The Orpingtons and Austrolorps were straight run. Barred rocks were labeled as pullets and I selected the ones with dark legs and defined spot on head and they did all end up being pullets. I heard that when buying chicks from the bins I would be more likely to have some of them die and that I would still have a high probability of ending up with roosters. I was just commenting on the fact that I was trying to avoid "bin chicks" but they turned out to be my most successful choice!
In my experience, I have much better "sexing" results ordering directly from the hatchery opposed to the bins.

Hello,
I need assistance identifying what breed this rooster is. I bought 4 straight run Buff Orpingtons from a farm and this one just didn't look like the others from about a week on. He was a lighter yellow and as he grew became whiter. He gradually developed brown edges (lacing) on his wings then his tail. He has some hackle feathers that brown with stripes. I think he is very pretty, but I don't think he is a BO. Can anyone help me identify what he is?
Thank you!
He's an absolutely gorgeous rooster whatever the breed!

Back
Top Bottom