Head/neck listing to the right, chest uneven

Treerooted

Crowing
Dec 19, 2016
ON, Canada
Updated picture:

IMG_20170917_074406743.jpg

Anyone have some ideas on this? I know it's hard to see in the images, but the left breast looks compressed compared to the right.
IMG_1354.JPG

The backstory:
This hen along with her Barnvelder counter part, rarely leave the coop. I assume this is mostly because of flock dynamics, as my silver-laced Wyandotte is often in there with them along with the subordinate Barny roo.
I did notice her chest, I think it was last week or earlier, but looked closely at the other hens and realized it was a natural depression (and thought the timid chicken may not be filling up her crop as full).
Today however it seemed much more cavernous so I picked her up off the roost and fed her from my hand then put her down. She eat just fine and had a drink of water. She left the coop and I started to noticed that she was sort of leaning to one side. Her neck was tilted slightly to the right as she walked.

Other then these two symptoms she seems to be fine, not weak or off balance, just timid and a bit bullied.

IMG_1362.JPG

Last edited:
She looks like she is "starving"...any coughing or sneezing?

No, not that I've seen.
Maybe she's too scared to come off the roost to eat? I almost always see those three hens I mentioned roosting. Though the other ones don't seem to have any issues.

What would account for the crooked neck?

So the sunken chest was due to hunger, thank you. I'll have to check on her to make sure she's leaving the roost to get food.

But....I think she's deformed. Which is probably why she's so timid and has led to the hunger problems.

IMG_20170917_074406743.jpg

Deformed...maybe.
I can't think of it off the top of my head...There is something though that caused small breast meat/muscles.
I am just getting up...give me a little while to look for what I am thinking of and I will share it with you if I can find it again.

Back
Top Bottom