Neck Injury? Hen not Extending Neck After Possible Attack

Feel some other crops to see if the others feel like hers. Normally they should fill up during the day, then feel empty by the next morning before eating or drinking. I would try to offer some watery chicken feed mush and a little scrambled egg to see if she will eat. Keep us updated on how she is doing.
Just updated the original post. I believe her crop is okay at the moment. Thanks for the input. I really appreciate the knowledge of everyone here.

UPDATE:
I gave her electrolyte water in a dropper and she began to drink that readily. I decided to make her some oatmeal and see if she would eat that. I placed it higher up, at chest level so she could eat easier. For about two hours she just stood in place eating the oatmeal. I made it a little soupy and used some electrolyte water to make it wetter. This way I could make sure she was getting hydrated and food at the same time.
I believe her crop is okay currently. I tried to examine her body for wounds. At the moment she does have some minor abrasions on her left leg. She won't let me extend her left wing. I tried lifting it up and extending it out and she struggles and runs off. Maybe it's broken or sprained? I couldn't spot any wounds on her body. No blood or anything. So perhaps if something did get her it didn't pierce the skin but possibly caused internal trauma.
During the feeding she did begin to extend her neck forward. She also tilted her head and extended her neck a bit to get the water nipple. I decided to raise the water container higher to allow her easier access. After feeding she did seem a bit more perky. She also started being able to scratch her head with her leg. She wasn't able to this morning. She also did make a few pecks at the ground after feeding.
At the moment she is sticking right up against me or her sister hen. Literally pressed up against us.
I cleaned out the coop today. Added extra shavings in the coop for a bit more insulation. Also added a ton of straw in the hiding spot under the coop to give her a comfortable safe space to be. I also added extra straw for insulation in the nesting boxes in case she wants to sit in there.
She does seem to be doing a little better. Here's hoping she has a full recovery. I grabbed some honey from my parents as well.
Thank you for the update.
It's good that she's been eating and drinking on her own, this is improvement.
Hopefully you will see more improvement over the next day or so.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

Thank you for the update.
It's good that she's been eating and drinking on her own, this is improvement.
Hopefully you will see more improvement over the next day or so.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.
So far she's been kind of the same. A little more mobile, but still balled up. Let me handle her a bit more and I massaged her wings. She seemed to enjoy it. Her crop is okay. She hasn't layed since she's returned. I assume that's from the stress. She's been pooping. It's more like what you think of bird poop. Whiteish more liquid.
I've been giving her honey and soaking the feed, which she eats.
So for now I guess I'm holding a bowl up for her to eat each morning and going day by day.

So far she's been kind of the same. A little more mobile, but still balled up. Let me handle her a bit more and I massaged her wings. She seemed to enjoy it. Her crop is okay. She hasn't layed since she's returned. I assume that's from the stress. She's been pooping. It's more like what you think of bird poop. Whiteish more liquid.
I've been giving her honey and soaking the feed, which she eats.
So for now I guess I'm holding a bowl up for her to eat each morning and going day by day.
Hoping she makes a full recovery. Thanks for the continued updates.

Back
Top Bottom