Head tremor

The vitamin E will settle out/float in the water, she won't get enough. You can just put the capsule in her beak and push it back, she'll swallow it.
If I have to keep a bird warm, I bring them into my spare bathroom at night, in a crate, or I put them in my shower with doors, with towels on the floor of it. There is room in there for a dish of food and water, and then I can sleep with no worries, they'll be warm and can't go anywhere. Clean up is usually no big deal, the towels go in the wash. You could also use puppy pads if you have them, and just toss them.

The vitamin E will settle out/float in the water, she won't get enough. You can just put the capsule in her beak and push it back, she'll swallow it.
If I have to keep a bird warm, I bring them into my spare bathroom at night, in a crate, or I put them in my shower with doors, with towels on the floor of it. There is room in there for a dish of food and water, and then I can sleep with no worries, they'll be warm and can't go anywhere. Clean up is usually no big deal, the towels go in the wash. You could also use puppy pads if you have them, and just toss them.
I've been using puppy pads in the crate which are so helpful. I have limited indoor space and 1 bathroom, and 2 prey-driven dogs, so not sure if inside is doable. The Vitamin E capsules I have look too big to go in her beak (she's still fairly small). Should I puncture and squirt it in her mouth? They are 400iu. Also, any tips on how to get her beak open since she doesn't really have wattles yet, not that I can grab anyway.

She's big enough to swallow a capsule. They can swallow lizards, frogs, mice. When they have small wattles, I hold them under my arm, or in my lap, use your finger nail to open the tip of the beak, use your other hand in the corners of the beak, wrap your hand around the back of her head to hold it still, to prop it open. It gets easier with practice. Have the pill in the hand you pry the beak open with, pop it in. Once you get used to it, it only takes a few seconds.
Any small room you can shut the door on will work for overnight in a crate. In the dark she's just going to sleep and poop. You can take her back to the garage in the morning when you get up. My dogs are always interested when I have a bird in the bathroom, I just keep the door shut.

She's big enough to swallow a capsule. They can swallow lizards, frogs, mice. When they have small wattles, I hold them under my arm, or in my lap, use your finger nail to open the tip of the beak, use your other hand in the corners of the beak, wrap your hand around the back of her head to hold it still, to prop it open. It gets easier with practice. Have the pill in the hand you pry the beak open with, pop it in. Once you get used to it, it only takes a few seconds.
Any small room you can shut the door on will work for overnight in a crate. In the dark she's just going to sleep and poop. You can take her back to the garage in the morning when you get up. My dogs are always interested when I have a bird in the bathroom, I just keep the door shut.
Thank you for the tips. I'll try this technique this afternoon to give her the Vit E gelcap. No worms found in this morning's poo. She's drinking a good amount of water (with B complex and nutridrench) and enthusiastically eating her regular feed (with a few extra sunflower seeds). We're able to keep her warm and comfortable in the garage, so that's no longer a problem. I'll post an update in a couple days or when things change.

Today is day 3 of giving Reba the whole Vitamin E (400 iu) pills. Many thanks to @coach723 for the tips on doing that. Much easier than I thought. Her head tremors are much less, but she still has the weird neck movements. No worms in poo. She is drinking water with B-complex and a little bit of selenium. She is eating her regular feed. She does seem to miss her flock, but I'm keeping them separated during her yard time. I did see her walking in some circles, but she also will walk around somewhat normally. Here's some videos from today.

Update on Reba. 5 days on Vit E 400iu whole pill by mouth. Yesterday started giving 1/3 B complex tablet by mouth instead of mixed in with water. Head tremors are almost totally gone and it seems she is not having as many uncontrollable neck/head movements. Noticed this morning she does not seem as interested in food, although she did eat a little egg. Yesterday and today she seems to be falling asleep more often, outside and in her crate, so I worry that she is not getting enough food down. I ordered tubing and syringe and some of the Kaytee baby bird exact and plan to start that tomorrow. Wondering if I should also mix in some Nutradrench or Poultry cell with the feed. Also, I found this in her overnight poop. I'm guessing it is a piece of plastic and not a worm (definitely not a round worm) - flat and transparent, like plastic, and a little rigid like plastic, not squishy like a worm. No idea where it came from. Wondering of others opinions on it. Thank you.

tempImageHoGzrH.jpg tempImagexI5azk.jpg

Interesting about the plastic. I guess that it is not part of an egg membrane since it looks clear. If you keep on with the vitamin E and B complex, she shouldn’t need other vitamins or electrolytes. I would try to keep her eating offering moistened chicken feed, some scrambled egg bits as most of her diet. Tube feeding is fine if she won’t eat on her own. What do her poops look like?

When I zoom in I see some small spots of what looks like blood, upper right and lower left are most visible. So maybe cocciciosis on top of everything else. The lethargy and not wanting to eat could also be symptoms. I hate to stop the B vitamins, but I'd start her on Corid to be safe. Thiamine can't be given at the same time, it can make the medication less effective. So I would do that, and then start the B vitamins again after treatment is complete. You can continue the E, that one is fine.

Back
Top Bottom