Health monitoring case study article & possible further article

Lillith37

Specially interested in chickens
Jan 7, 2023
Melbourne, Australia
Hi everyone,

I wrote a case study article about health monitoring for chickens.

I put it in the "injuries/diseases" section but in hindsight I should have put it under "maintaining a healthy flock".

Anyway I thought I'd link it here in case anyone wants to read it and learn more about my process for health monitoring. I'm very passionate about identifying and addressing issues early, and so thought I would detail my most recent experience where something was amiss. Prevention is worth a pound of cure and all that, and also I just feel like knowing what's "normal" for your birds can go a long way to reducing stress and uncertainty -- which can be a big part of chicken keeping especially for beginners.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/health-monitoring-case-study.79272/

This article comes off the back of another one I did about reproductive health.

I'm thinking about writing another one about how to do a proper comprehensive health check for a chicken. I'm talking face/eyes/ears/nose/mouth/feathers/skin/body condition/legs/feet/nails/parasites -- the whole works. As well as discussing body condition against weight. I do one of these comprehensive checks for each member of my flock weekly, as well as weigh them weekly, and can attest to this practice (as well as just watching/observing my flock and being poop-obsessed) to being a central key to my chicken's health and wellbeing. I could also possibly do it in video format but it would be hard to get all the angles right. Maybe I could just take pictures and then write paragraphs explaining in more detail what to do and what to look for...

Would anyone be interested in something like that? This sort of thing is geared towards anyone who has the time, energy and inclination to optimise their flock's health.

I would like to see an article like that if you are willing to put it out. It sounds like it could also help people who just got a new bird and has it in quarantine. It could possibly help them discover any hidden issues that most might miss if they are subtle.

Thank you for your encouragement! I’ll gear myself up to it. I’ll need help to get proper photos too.

Wow- I never examine mine. They seem to thrive on healthy neglect? Everyone does chickens their own way. Yours is really a different way. If mine are eating, active and bright eyed and laying, I figure they are good.

I do not have rescue chickens, but I have never had all those problems. I am not raining on your parade, but I do want others to know that they can keep chickens just fine without that type of care.

Not that it is wrong to do it your way if you want, just not necessary for everyone.

Mrs K

Wow- I never examine mine. They seem to thrive on healthy neglect? Everyone does chickens their own way. Yours is really a different way. If mine are eating, active and bright eyed and laying, I figure they are good.

I do not have rescue chickens, but I have never had all those problems. I am not raining on your parade, but I do want others to know that they can keep chickens just fine without that type of care.

Not that it is wrong to do it your way if you want, just not necessary for everyone.

Mrs K

Oh yes of course we all do things differently and I am by no means saying everyone must do what I do. I was hoping to show some practical knowledge on how one can identify issues early through observation and strategic action.

I hear you when you say if your chooks are eating, laying, active and bright eyed they are all good — I feel like those are the most obvious indications of a healthy bird!

I suppose through a combination of ignorance, inexperience and certain circumstances of reality I learned many things the hard way. I’m also autistic and when I become interested (read: obsessed) with something it tends to become my life. My chickens are that something. I call them the jewels of my garden! I am fully prepared to accept that I go to extremes when it comes to their health and well-being lol.

Hi everyone,

I wrote a case study article about health monitoring for chickens.

I put it in the "injuries/diseases" section but in hindsight I should have put it under "maintaining a healthy flock".

Anyway I thought I'd link it here in case anyone wants to read it and learn more about my process for health monitoring. I'm very passionate about identifying and addressing issues early, and so thought I would detail my most recent experience where something was amiss. Prevention is worth a pound of cure and all that, and also I just feel like knowing what's "normal" for your birds can go a long way to reducing stress and uncertainty -- which can be a big part of chicken keeping especially for beginners.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/health-monitoring-case-study.79272/

This article comes off the back of another one I did about reproductive health.

I'm thinking about writing another one about how to do a proper comprehensive health check for a chicken. I'm talking face/eyes/ears/nose/mouth/feathers/skin/body condition/legs/feet/nails/parasites -- the whole works. As well as discussing body condition against weight. I do one of these comprehensive checks for each member of my flock weekly, as well as weigh them weekly, and can attest to this practice (as well as just watching/observing my flock and being poop-obsessed) to being a central key to my chicken's health and wellbeing. I could also possibly do it in video format but it would be hard to get all the angles right. Maybe I could just take pictures and then write paragraphs explaining in more detail what to do and what to look for...

Would anyone be interested in something like that? This sort of thing is geared towards anyone who has the time, energy and inclination to optimise their flock's health.
Yes please.

Back
Top Bottom