Healthy chicks at 4 weeks

gxd

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Northern California
This is my first time raising chicks and I am so amazed at how well they are doing. They are getting bigger by the day and they just look great. They are active and alert and besides the mess they are making, are a joy to have as pets. I am very happy that I've made the move to have chickens. Now I just hope DH finishes that coop so we can get them outside!
27508_img_0263.jpg

27508_img_0265.jpg

We are on our first year of chicks too and love it
smile.png
They are so fun to take out in the backyard and just sit and watch. It's almost relaxing! Our oldest are 8 wks and our coop is not done yet:( They do have a good temp coop in the garage but it's just hard catching them one at a time to take them outside. Coop should be done soon...it's looking good...DH trash picked two french doors so they'll have lots of sunlight. Will post pics when it's all done!!! Our littlest is a few days old and it's crazy to see how much bigger the only 8 wk olds are. They lood like godzilla:D

I new chicks, they are almost two weeks old. I've had them in a cardboard box in the bathtub. I can see it wont be long before I have to keep them in something else. I have a dog kennal like the one that you have in the pics. It looks like you have newspaper around the edge to keep the shavings in. What have you done to the bottom and edges to contain the shavings? I'm going to have to convince my husband to move them into "his garage" soon. I need ideas, he so picky about the garage, and it cannot be messy.

I just have the corners taped up with newspaper and masking tape. They do enjoy pecking at the paper but after a few minutes they give up. I just keep adding wood shavings to the bottom. I think they've been in there for a couple of weeks and I've cleaned the whole thing out a couple of times. I'm going to invest in a shop vac so I can suck the whole thing out. Plus after the chicks move into their coop, I'm going to have to power dust that room!

Juliachick- would love to see your coop. I'll post some pics of ours as well. DH is not a master builder by any means but I think he's done a good job. The most important thing is that it's secure. When we're home we're building a run (probably the pvc type) to have them on the side of my house where it's pretty sunny. Their coop is in a shady area right now and I think they can stay there for the morning but we'll put them out in the sun when we can.
I love watching them run around with treats. I've been giving them meal worms and pretty much have to take them out individually with all the fuss them make. Today I gave them some brown rice cereal and they ate it up. I also enjoy watching them jump onto their roosts. I think they are sleeping on them and I have just raised them both about six inches. They had no problems getting on to the highest one. It was a proud mama hen moment
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
OH I AM SO GLAD to see your crate for them...I have been wondering what the heck am I going to do with these birds when they get a little bigger and I just mentally (without looking at my crate) thought they could squeeze thru the bars, so I discounted it as an option before looking into it...but yours looks just like mine...Whoo hooo...sorry to ramble, but very happy to see that!!! Being a first time chick mom myself, I wasn't sure how big the chicks would be at the time I needed to move them to something a little larger...

Soooo back to YOUR post...congrats on such nice looking chicks!!!
smile.png

Thanks everyone. I think they're cute too, but I'm biased;)

The large dog crate/kennel worked out great but I know in a week or two they'll be outgrowing it.

Will post some pics of the coop by the weekend. Hopefully, I'll have it painted by then!

Back
Top Bottom