Weird behavior

PoultryPal1

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2023
Hello! Earlier today, I had gotten five new chicks from a local feed store, and one of them, the bielefelder, doesn't seem to be doing so great.

1000006361.jpg

She seemed pretty active at first after settling down, eating and drinking water, she still is, but she is much less alert now compared to the other chicks and spends a lot of time laying down while barely getting up, it's my first time raising chicks from a few days old, so any advice?

Hello! Earlier today, I had gotten five new chicks from a local feed store, and one of them, the bielefelder, doesn't seem to be doing so great.

View attachment 3771365

She seemed pretty active at first after settling down, eating and drinking water, she still is, but she is much less alert now compared to the other chicks and spends a lot of time laying down while barely getting up, it's my first time raising chicks from a few days old, so any advice?
What are the other chicks? Sometimes some breeds are just a bit more rambunctious than others. The behavior of that one isn't too strange for a just a few days old. Try some electrolytes like Hydro-Hen or Sav A Chick if you have any for all of them, or just a little bit of honey in warm water and let her have a couple sips of that to see if she perks up a bit.

Coccidiosis is the most common ailment in chicks and that usually presents with wings out, lethargic, possibly blood in poo. Her just being less active and sitting more doesn't sound like that, and usually it's not just one that gets it.

I also got two Prarie bluebell eggers, a starlight green egger, and an ameraucana. I did give her some electrolytes and she seems a bit better she ate too, perhaps she's just tired? None of the other chicks are showing this behavior, but one of the bluebell eggers seems to be trying to peck at everyone and I plan on trying to separate her but I'm not sure how.

Back
Top Bottom