Weird feathering

Krismac90

Hatching
Apr 11, 2024
This is my first time having chickens, and all of them seem to be doing great (we have 9), but one of them seems to be feathering out weird. It’s a black Australorp, and it’s probably about 3 weeks old (we got it from a supply store and they were vague on their hatch dates). The feathers just look super weird to me, the chick isn’t flying around like all the other ones, and it isn’t feathering anywhere else on its body like all the other chicks are. We got a wide variety of breeds (9 total), and this is the only BA we got, so I wasn’t sure if this was a breed thing, or something to be concerned about. Any thoughts or advice? Also including a pic of the babies we got, because they’re so cute and I thought you all might appreciate them. lol they were named by our four little boys.

Attachments

• IMG_6297.jpeg
    IMG_6297.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 8679056A-BF1B-4308-AE79-475FB06CBB87.jpeg
    8679056A-BF1B-4308-AE79-475FB06CBB87.jpeg
    881.7 KB · Views: 23
How are they kept, and what are you feeding? Looks like they could be rubbing on something, or perhaps it needs a bit more protein in the diet.

How are they kept, and what are you feeding? Looks like they could be rubbing on something, or perhaps it needs a bit more protein in the diet.
Just regular medicated chick feed. They have the heating plate on one side of the brooder and food and water on the other. I’ve given them scrambled eggs a couple of times. The feathers aren’t coming in anywhere else though. It’s getting bigger like all the other chicks, but keeping all the chick fuzz.

Just regular medicated chick feed. They have the heating plate on one side of the brooder and food and water on the other. I’ve given them scrambled eggs a couple of times. The feathers aren’t coming in anywhere else though. It’s getting bigger like all the other chicks, but keeping all the chick fuzz.
Is it sexed? Sometimes the males feather out slower in australorp.

Back
Top Bottom