Splash Jersey Giant with weird feathers?

Meowsmix

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 19, 2016
Hello everyone! This is May, she’s about a month old with her sister Shoobie. Both are Splash Jersey Giants bought from my local feed store (not Tractor Supply) along with BG, the Cuckoo Maran.

May has weird feathers? Both of the other girls have normal, round feathers but May’s are sort of ragged. They have all been on the same chick feed, Kalmbach Starter. I’m wondering if it’s anything to be concerned about or if she’s just a little special.

When she first came home a month ago she was noticeably more lethargic than the other two, I had her on sav-a-chic for a few days before she perked up. Now that they are going through the ugly vulture stage I noticed her feathers were just different. Unfortunately googling “weird chick feathers” comes up with every problem under the sun. I haven’t seen other pictures of chicks with similar feathers before.

Thanks in advance, if anyone would know what’s going on it’d be y’all. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0384.jpeg
    IMG_0384.jpeg
    561.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0389.jpeg
    IMG_0389.jpeg
    578.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0386.jpeg
    IMG_0386.jpeg
    586.1 KB · Views: 16
It's possible the time she spent being under the weather set her back a bit, and she didn't have the energy to grow perfect feathers. Chicks go through multiple molts as they grow, so she should eventually replace them with nicer feathers.

On occasion one will just have more messy feathers at that age. They are temporary so it makes sense they don't waste too much energy making them perfect. I also think the external temperatures can affect whether they need better feathers or not. If it's warmer it isn't as important as when it's colder.

Back
Top Bottom