Heartland Hatchery :(

As of 3 years ago I was new to chickens and guineas. I have bought from Alan every year, not a lot but we just wanted the eggs for eating. Out of all the chicks that I have bought from Alan, the only ones who died were the owners fault. Yep, mine. The guineas seem to prefer living elsewhere as I can't seem to keep them home. We have a neighbor way, way, wayyyy out behind us that has guineas and I'm sure they are surprised when extra guineas show up.

The one thing I am impressed with is how healthy Alan's chicks are. I have had no problems raising them or after they were grown. That is the ones who have survived the sneaky predator that lurks here now and then.

Last year in March I bought some Ameraucana chicks from Alan and told him the story of how one chick turned into a beautiful hen, then turned into a gorgeous rooster, only to have that sneaky predator get him before he was old enough to be a father.

Last year I also bought 2 Crested Polish from Alan and named them Elvis and Phyllis (Phyllis Diller). Unfortunately, Phyllis was Elvis and Elvis was Phyllis and we lost Phyllis to the sneaky predator. This year I have incubated 31 chicks of which some have a little puff on top of their heads, I can't wait to see what they will look like as adults but none of them will have the do that their father has. This year also I bought 3 more Crested Polish from Alan along with 3 more Ameraucana. He gave me a free chick and unfortunately, two of them got into the water dish and one didn't make it. Like I said, owner's fault.

WOW, hearing about Heartland Hatchery before getting any of their birds was a very good idea! I have crossed them out for getting any from them. I sent them an email to asking a few questions about their duck and chickens Wen. and still have not received a reply (Friday). It made me nervous about getting anything from them in the first place because his Web site has absolutely no pictures at all, not even of the breeding birds he has. You would think he would want to show what he has and not just list them. 90% of the picture on his Facebook page are NOT of his birds! They are just pictures of other things or other peoples birds.

Kipkiss1,
I am very sorry you did not get a timely response to your e-mail. My husband runs Heartland Hatchery but is also a full time dairy farmer. I too have a full time job. We are unable to check emails daily, that is why he usually posts in his Craig's list ads that he doesn't correspond with emails. We have just found that our website is linking to an old email address that we don't use. Our current email address is listed on our Facebook page, but we are only able to get to the emails or Facebook messages every several days. Please contact Alan via his cell phone listed on his website or Facebook page. That is generally how he corresponds with his customers. We mainly use the Facebook page to list our chick day sales, but we are working on pictures for the Facebook page. We are a pretty small operation and both have other jobs, so we are just trying to do the best we can in this weak economy. Please give Alan a call with any questions and concerns.

Jackie & Alan Nieder
Heartland Hatchery

my 2 cents.....I picked up 5 hens (Barred Rocks and Wyandottes) and a roo from Heartland last fall at a MFA Chickday . Beautiful birds...healthy and zero issues. I'm getting 3-4 eggs per day. Going out of my way to get more from them.

I've bought several bunches of chicks from Heartland Hatchery and I, too, have had nothing but positive experiences. I haven't lost a chick yet, although I bought my last 6 chicks the day before yesterday, so it might be too early to tell for this year's bunch. Alan and Miles, the owners, have always returned my calls immediately and are very knowledgeable and friendly. They also have breeds that are sometimes very hard to find and as I only have Silkies, Cochins and Orpingtons, Alan is really the only person around who has what I need for my small but growing flock.
I do know that Heartland has a Facebook presence. Perhaps that is why the webpage has expired.

Got more chicks...probably fourth or fifth time we have bought from heartland.... Always enjoy seeing you guys at c&c in bolivar-appreciate you guys coming down!!

I Went to one of their Chick days at a feed store, I got 4 Lavender Orphington and 5 Copper Merans. I have one Orphington left and 3 Merans. I will not buy chicks from them again. I can't watch baby chicks die in my hands.

Back
Top Bottom