Heartworm medicine without a prescription

LuckysMom

Songster
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
South Carolina
I've been looking at websites that let you order heartworm medicines without a prescription. Has anyone had any experiences, good or bad with this? These websites offer both heartgard and other generic medicines. I'm thinking about ordering from one of the websites but I don't want to get ripped off or get something that would not work on my dogs. I would greatly appreciate any advice. I've thought about going to the farm supply store and getting ivermectin for horses or pigs but I'm nervous about doing that, I probably would not get the dosage correct for using it on the dogs.

Heartgard requires a prescription because they want to make sure your dog has been tested and is not carrying heartworms already or it could cause death. Any site not requiring a prescription may not be real or may sell you an unsafe product. However many sites allow you to order from them and then they call or fax your vet for confirmation so you can still get heartworm and flea meds online for cheaper than your local vet. We've ordered revolution online from such places. Many vets will require a yearly blood test for heartworms to get heartworm medication though. That's one reason some people with lots of dogs just buy ivermectin (the active ingredient in heartworm meds) directly and measure out their own dose. You don't have to pay for blood tests as often or an expensive prescription version but it does carry it's own risk and things you need to know like that fact that giving ivermectin without testing for heartworms first could cause death or that some dogs can be overly sensitive to ivermectin and should be tested for that gene before using it. Online companies selling prescription meds have also been fined for allowing prescriptions from vets who had never seen the animal so even if your vet doesn't require the dog to be tested for heartworms yearly you still have to take them in to an appointment before you can get the prescription versions of a med legally.

Last edited:
I've thought about going to the farm supply store and getting ivermectin for horses or pigs but I'm nervous about doing that, I probably would not get the dosage correct for using it on the dogs.

Buy a bottle of 1% LIQUID Ivomec

Buy a 1 ML syringe

Give 1/10th ML per 10 lbs body weight to treat for most types of worms

Give 1/10th ML TOTAL to treat for Heartworms only

It's not rocket science

(Do not use Ivomec on Collie and herding breeds)​

I now that Ivermectin can be used form the feed stores, the kind for cattle. The lady at West Memphis Greyhound rescue used it . But I would be afraid to use it with out talking to a vet first. But she uses it because it is cheaper and greyhounds are sensetive to some things but not Ivermectin.

Ivermectin is good, but be very careful. I work for a specialty vet practice and I can tell you that if your dog is sensitive to it, it can be fatal, or at the very least very expensive. We had a dog on a ventilator for 2 weeks because of an Ivermectin reaction. The owners' bill was over 10k! If money is not a huge issue, I would play it safe and get the prescription HW preventative. Most vets are more than willing to write you a script to get it online and some will even match the online price. Good luck, and I am glad to see that you are being a responsible pet owner.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

Buy a 1 ML syringe

It's not rocket science

(Do not use Ivomec on Collie and herding breeds)

Do you inject it..or give it orally?

Quote:

Buy a 1 ML syringe

It's not rocket science

(Do not use Ivomec on Collie and herding breeds)

Orally.

Yes, orally, and I apologize for not stating that to begin with.

I just squirt it on the roof of their mouth so they can't choke, although the amount is so small that would be nearly impossible.
I usually add 1 ML of suger water just so there is more volume​

You have some wrong info here and incomplete info. go to a hunting dog sit and ask about Ivomec and other wormer's. DO NOT give orly straight put on a peace of bread or mix with water. DO NOT give to collies.

Back
Top Bottom