Heat lamp thoughts!

I honestly wouldn't waste the money. Our birds here in central Wis (with recent temps barely breaking 0F during the day) are all doing fine,, they all wander outside during the day and in and out of the wind shelters and coop when they need to warm up a bit or go lay (which has incedentaly, dropped slightly, but not enough to cause concern, because, yes, our eggs are an income source) More importantly than heat is, a place to get out of wind/drafts, water, and a boost in protein and fats during the colder months. Our birds lay all through the winter with these 3 steps and never a need for suplemental heat.

Hello, we live in NW Montana our temps are similar to yours and we use a couple heat lamps all winter long. Haven't had any problems other than having to replace burnt out bulbs now and then. Our hens lay well with the extra warmth. Hope this was helpful.
Debbie

It's most likely the light rather than the heat that is causing your chickens to lay throughout the winter. Either that or their age as a first year pullet will lay through the winter whether you have light on them or not.

Yes. I'm not a chicken but before I had them, the nasty cold rain was horrible for my babies. I can clearly see the change my chickens had. Especially my bantams and turkeys.

Since I am a newbie at chickens, I appreciate any and all suggestions and help. Our three seem to be doing well, and enjoying the heat and light shining at their doorway. They to into the coop around 3-3:30 and huddle up for the night. I am looking forward to spring when the start laying again. I read they take time off when molting or it's cold, so was not surprised when the laying ceased. We give them a high quality feed and know they'll start up again when the weather warms. As for the light, thank you for your input, makes me feel better knowing that someone with experience uses a light and that I'm not doing the wrong thing. Yes, Montana gets colder than it does here, but blow freezing is cold no matter where one lives. Thanks again for your replay!
big_smile.png

Mine started laying a month ago, I don't heat mine or provide extra light and I'm still getting eggs.

-21F coldest temp inside coop. no heat Just a timed light from 6am to 6pm. little scratch grain for extra energy every day.

Mine haven't laid since molting and cold weather set in, but one of the Amerucana's comb has started to "pink up" and get brighter, so am thinking she's going to be laying in the next month or so, at least I hope she is! The other two are still holding out for now.

We have a lamp on a timer from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. and it seems to do the trick, they often come down and sit in the "glow" before I let them out to peck around in the grass, now that the snow has melted. Been in the 20's at night, so pretty soon will not need the lamp anymore.

Always glad to get other's responses and input, thank you!

It's most likely the light rather than the heat that is causing your chickens to lay throughout the winter. Either that or their age as a first year pullet will lay through the winter whether you have light on them or not.
I'm no expert (though I do have a bit of experience w/chickens) ...... but my chickens responded positively to adding supplemental lighting ...... the initial disturbance of adding the light put them off for a day or two ....but they are averaging 6 eggs from 9 Buff Orp pullets ..... got 8 today, of which only 2 were"medium sized" .... most are XL or Jumbo........

RE: adding heat lamps ..... If you added heat, either you put the heat in before it was REALLY cold, and they did not adapt to cold gradually, OR, you added it after they did acclimate to the cold. In the first case, they have not grown sufficient down to not be stressed by severe cold, and are therefore dependent upon that fragile heat lamp for their very lives, and in the latter case, they HAVE donned their down winter parka, that they CAN NOT TAKE OFF .......and you have them "cooped up" with a pile of other similarly overheated girlfriends, AND a heat lamp beaming on them ......

Two things I know to be true, wiuth regard to chickens:

1. Chickens DO NOT like sudden changes.

2. Heat kills more chickens than cold.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom