Heat Lamp

Mommachirp

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
Hi everyone! Any suggestions on how long I should keep a heat lamp on for my new chicks? They only use it at night right now since the days are warm here in Arizona. Today is the first night that they are not directly under it.

In another post you indicated they are 5 weeks old, and they grew up outdoors. They should not need any heat at all, only protection from rain and wind for a little longer.

Thanks. I kept the lamp on last night, but they really weren't under it. I noticed they were all snuggled in a bunch this morning after I turned it off earlier this morning. I was worried I might have took it away to soon. Reading your reply took away the worry. Thanks again.:thumbsup

They will cuddle together or sleep partly on one another when they are young, apparently for the sense of comfort or security, not for warmth. If they are really cold, they don't cuddle next to each other, but rather they pile one on top of another -- unfortunately usually suffocating some on the bottom of the pile.

Back
Top Bottom